"Go to Lhasa before its ruined!!!" Lhasa by sugarpuff

Lhasa Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,369 photos

This was my first time so far west of the country and I was very excited about going. As I have written on my TIBET page introduction, I was given the opportunity to go as part work and part pleasure so I accepted immediately thinking that I probably wouldn't get such a wonderful chance like that again. So off I went for a week in September. I saw so many sights and sites that I hadnt deemed possible and so many tales to tell which hopefully will be read by YOU throughout these pages! There are many pages on Lhasa and surrounding areas on VT so Im trying to take a different stance as always and bring some knowledge of their customs to you rather than information soley about places to see and things to do!

So many genuine smiles here...

I adore taking photos of people who dress in a unique and different way to those I am surrounded by on a day to day basis. I was also lucky to have some very understanding audiences too which is not always easy as other VTers have pointed out from their trips around China. There were times when people asked for a fee or they refused to be photographed, but on the whole, photographing people was fairly easy and fun too!!! Many older people in Tibet do not like to be photographed as they believe a bit of their soul will be lost, so of course I respected that and I didn't push them, but others seemed to enjoy the process, especially when I showed them it straight after...god bless digital cameras! I am going to dedicate a page to the people I caught on camera throughout my week there..hope you like them!

My Tibetan friend

As you may have seen on my TIBET page opening, there is a picture of this little boy as well. I was with a tour group who wanted to look around a monastery far longer than I deemed acceptable(!), so walked outside into the sunshine (don't get much of that in Beijing!) and met this young boy. He was a little wary of me in the beginning but then when he saw me playing with my camera and taking photos of the dogs roaming around near us, he soon became my friend...in fact my ONLY Tibetan friend on the whole journey! We played together taking photos of eachother and all the dogs for the next 15 mins until I had to move on. He looked a bit sad to see me walking away as I was too, but I'm hoping he's made some more friends since meeting me!

• Last visit to Lhasa: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2006

• gordo_la's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I shared your altitude sickness too. Fought it for three days, but my mental issues started to become extreme over lack of sleep! Great country but Tibetan culture will be destroyed by the hords of Chinese living and controlling it now.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hello, Victoria! You have a great page here... Thanks for sharing! ><><

• Jul 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM

this is such a fascinating page victoria! the colors that the people wear - just amazing! and captured beautifully on your camera! nice work gal! x

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM

Fascinating pages and some wonderful images too. As you say Victoria, the old woman with the braided hair and her younger companions look quite amazing. Sadly I get altitude sickness going up a stepladder so Lhasa is possibly not for me!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 7:20 AM

Great to see your photos - i love people photos too but...yes they can be so hard to get when people jump about when they notice you with a camera!went to art exhibition once of amazing Tibetan portraits. must get there myself b4 too long!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 5:38 PM

fascinating, and very personal. great stuff.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 4:33 AM

beautifully People shoots and great natural photo's what camera do you used very nice page ;-)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 2:23 AM

Seems like you had a wonderfull time there. The people look so friendly. Would love to go ;-)

• earthflyer's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Can't believe I was there in 2005 and still have not devoloped my photos. Tibet was beautiful

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 1:31 PM

I hope I will be there in time before the big changes ... only 8 more months. Nice people photos.

sugarpuff

“Smell the spices, see the smiles and hear the laughter and whisperings of the locals.”

Badges & Stats in Lhasa