"My journey to the West!" New York City by sugarpuff
New York City Travel Guide: 15,888 reviews and 31,980 photos
The BIG day...Flew from Beijing at 1300 heading for London for an hour break before continuing on with the last leg of the journey. Very excited, but very nervous too. For reasons I can only think that I was going to be meeting Charles' family for the first time and they all speak French and I would have to open up that part of my brain to remember my high school lessons! We were flying with British Airways for the whole six weeks and it was like luxury! The moment we stepped foot onto the plane it was as if we were already in England, we the air stewardesses all being British and everything was so clean and bright looking....one youve flown non stop for a year on Chinese airlines, things like this really do make a difference! I didn't fall asleep at all for the 10 hours we were on the plane, but that was ok as there were 10 different films to choose from...Charles fell asleep though, so I had no one to talk to....oh well...
Arrived in London for a quick stretch of the legs and then another flight awauted us. This time however we had screaming kids onboard and the lady to the right of me kept switching my tv channel everytime she lent on the arm rest...most bloody annoying! We had to wait for an hour on the plane whilst they defrosted the wings however, as the flight from New York had been a little chilly! Now my rant here is that, they must have KNOWN that they were going to have to do this BEFORE they boarded us all, so why not tell us then and that would have given me an extra hour to keep my circulation running and also to have fun spending money in the airport shops.....holiday money as we all know isnt REAL money, so it doesnt matter how much of it you spend! Anyway, seven hours later we pulled up to JFK airport!!!
But then again, the queues started and we found ourselves waiting for an hour to get through immigration! Does the US not WANT any visitors? We, or should i say 'I', had to leave my thumb prints on the machine but Charles didnt...what...are Canadians less suspect to being criminals in the US?Grabbed our bags, which as we found out later had been opened and something of Charles' had been taken..we cant figure out what, but there was an empty plastic bag in his case which previously had had something in it! There was no note either saying that it had been officially opened...can they DO that? I think thats very wrong.
And after that we got through having had to pay $3 for a trolley we would be giving back in less than ten minutes anyway (not a good first sign to NY) and got into the taxi queue. Well now I was at the point of exhilaration when I saw the yellow cabs and all I could imagine was Carrie from (SATC) hailing one day! I jumped in and it was so huge and spacious inside..really different from Chinese taxis where you can barely fit a leg in! And off we set to my friend's apt. in the Upper West side. Along the way I was like a little child pointing at all the signs so familiar to New York that I have only seen on television before!!! Upon arriving, we dropped our bags and set off for my friend's local diner...ha ha ha...the day just couldnt get any better!!!! ME ..in a DINER!!! Something Ive wanted to do for so long!!!! And so the night continued and we were in bed by 1am and if you'd managed to catch a quick glimpse of me, you would have seen a big broad smile on my face!!!!
JUST FOR THOSE WONDERING WHEN YOU READ MY PAGES IF I HAD FORGOTTEN TO BRING GLOVES ON MY TRIP WITH ME...THE ANSWER IS NO, I HADNT FORGOTTEN...BUT MY HANDS FREEZE AT THE SLIGHTEST CONTACT TO COLD WEATHER DUE TO EXTREMELY BAD CIRCULATION!!!! IM NOT THAT CRAZY!
Well from reading other people's pages and of course seeing it on soaps in the States, Macy's seemed like the perfect... more travel advice
Whilst strolling through Little Italy...or should I say 'whilst walking as fast as we could to find somewhere warm to go... more travel advice
- See All Comedy Clubs
- Go watch a KNICKS game!!!!
- Eat all the foods from the movies!!!!
sugarpuff's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 30 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Travel Ronda Forum "Re: From Morocco to ..."
- updated a New York City Travel Page "My journey to the West!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Macy's...not all its copped out to be!"
- Commented on one of dejavu2gb's New York City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Pre-Theatre Dining about Combined Suggestions in New York City Restaurants
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 66 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 39 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 23 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Tao Intro, 25 reviews, 71 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Lijiang Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos