"My journey to the West!" New York City by sugarpuff

New York City Travel Guide: 15,726 reviews and 31,518 photos

NYC here I come!!!!

The BIG day...Flew from Beijing at 1300 heading for London for an hour break before continuing on with the last leg of the journey. Very excited, but very nervous too. For reasons I can only think that I was going to be meeting Charles' family for the first time and they all speak French and I would have to open up that part of my brain to remember my high school lessons! We were flying with British Airways for the whole six weeks and it was like luxury! The moment we stepped foot onto the plane it was as if we were already in England, we the air stewardesses all being British and everything was so clean and bright looking....one youve flown non stop for a year on Chinese airlines, things like this really do make a difference! I didn't fall asleep at all for the 10 hours we were on the plane, but that was ok as there were 10 different films to choose from...Charles fell asleep though, so I had no one to talk to....oh well...

A quick stopover and I'll be there!!!!

Arrived in London for a quick stretch of the legs and then another flight awauted us. This time however we had screaming kids onboard and the lady to the right of me kept switching my tv channel everytime she lent on the arm rest...most bloody annoying! We had to wait for an hour on the plane whilst they defrosted the wings however, as the flight from New York had been a little chilly! Now my rant here is that, they must have KNOWN that they were going to have to do this BEFORE they boarded us all, so why not tell us then and that would have given me an extra hour to keep my circulation running and also to have fun spending money in the airport shops.....holiday money as we all know isnt REAL money, so it doesnt matter how much of it you spend! Anyway, seven hours later we pulled up to JFK airport!!!

But then again, the queues started and we found ourselves waiting for an hour to get through immigration! Does the US not WANT any visitors? We, or should i say 'I', had to leave my thumb prints on the machine but Charles didnt...what...are Canadians less suspect to being criminals in the US?Grabbed our bags, which as we found out later had been opened and something of Charles' had been taken..we cant figure out what, but there was an empty plastic bag in his case which previously had had something in it! There was no note either saying that it had been officially opened...can they DO that? I think thats very wrong.

My adventure is about to begin!!!!

And after that we got through having had to pay $3 for a trolley we would be giving back in less than ten minutes anyway (not a good first sign to NY) and got into the taxi queue. Well now I was at the point of exhilaration when I saw the yellow cabs and all I could imagine was Carrie from (SATC) hailing one day! I jumped in and it was so huge and spacious inside..really different from Chinese taxis where you can barely fit a leg in! And off we set to my friend's apt. in the Upper West side. Along the way I was like a little child pointing at all the signs so familiar to New York that I have only seen on television before!!! Upon arriving, we dropped our bags and set off for my friend's local diner...ha ha ha...the day just couldnt get any better!!!! ME ..in a DINER!!! Something Ive wanted to do for so long!!!! And so the night continued and we were in bed by 1am and if you'd managed to catch a quick glimpse of me, you would have seen a big broad smile on my face!!!!

JUST FOR THOSE WONDERING WHEN YOU READ MY PAGES IF I HAD FORGOTTEN TO BRING GLOVES ON MY TRIP WITH ME...THE ANSWER IS NO, I HADNT FORGOTTEN...BUT MY HANDS FREEZE AT THE SLIGHTEST CONTACT TO COLD WEATHER DUE TO EXTREMELY BAD CIRCULATION!!!! IM NOT THAT CRAZY!

• Last visit to New York City: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2006

• packat's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Sounds right up our alley...can't wait to visit this weekend!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I really enjoyed reading your page on New York. But watch out for those squirrels!!!

• we2364's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I am good, thanks Vicky. Why Philippine? When I visited US, the taxi driver asked me, are you from NY? Thus less they see, less mind developed. I wish you keep enjoying the fun and expand your life horizon. But with someone, always!!!

• Feb 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Very good page.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Great look at one of my favorite cities, V. I know what you mean about hot coffee or chocolate. We were once there in January. Standing in line for "Phantom" that night was F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G. Ready for the Olympics?

• Jan 22, 2008 at 4:19 AM

how you get the squarl on your leg

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I'm crazy about NY!And you did it very well!I'd love to go there!Nice pics and nice tips!;)

• Hotboy_san's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Very interesting and useful story about this surprising city!

• no_seriously_Bill's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 11:12 AM

The movie you are talking about with Al Pacino running through Grand Central Station is Carlitos Way. Another older film which features Grand Central is "North by Northwest" starring Cary Grant. I enjoyed your writings about my hometown.

• Johnny_CA's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 8:05 PM

i can't believe you let that squirrel climb up your leg like that? did you get your rabies shot afterward?! :) have you found some peace and quiet now?!

sugarpuff

“Smell the spices, see the smiles and hear the laughter and whisperings of the locals.”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City