"The village on stilts" Top 5 Page for this destination Tai O by sugarpuff
Tai O Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 55 photos
A true eye opener! I've been to HK several times before but have never been out to its neighbouring islands. This time I went to Lantau Island which is home to this fantastic small fishing village. It is constructed over salt flats and a tiny offshore island. It can get extrememly popular druing the summer months with hundreds of tourists walking by each other every minute. Because it is such a fascinating place, the government has made it entirely into a tourist site. I don't know what the locals think about that as I'm sure they must be getting some kind of benefit out of that, but I certainly wouldn't want strangers walking round my back balcony. I must say that I DID feel strange walking past people as they sat outside eating or drinking of hanging their washing up...it just didn't feel right to be there.
Eventhough the place fills up with tourists, it has still managed to keep on much of its old character. There were several dried fish stalls and small cockle shops, mixed in with old temples and wooden houses. It was lovely walking through this little village, and I recommend it to everyone.
It's fairly easy to get there...what am I saying..it's EXTREMELY easy. You get on the ferry at the Outlying Islands Ferry Piers, at Pier 3 if Im not mistaken. The ferry took about an hour and 20mins by standard ferry and only about 30mins by express ferry. You can only buy single tickets, so it's quite expensive for a return trip. You'll be heading for Mui Wo, where you can then get bus #41 to Tai O Village or if you fancy a trip to the Po Lin Monastery first, you'll be getting bus #21. The latter route however is quite infrequent, so make sure you check the timetables when you arrive. I remember when we went to the monastery, the bus left either half an hour later or two hours later....so watch out!!!!
- Pros:Set back on a small island away from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong
- Cons:Would like to live on a house on stilts where tourists come round everyday!?
- In a nutshell:A nice place to visit, not so great to live...
This is just the photo of the one NOT to go to. So please take note and avoid like the plague! more travel advice
sugarpuff's Related Pages
Tai O Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tai O oozes with Rustic Charm"
- "Rustic Fishing Village in the Modern HK"
- "The village on stilts"
- "Tai O"
- "Tai O fishing village"
- "A village on stilts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tai O
- Transportation in Tai O
- Restaurants in Tai O
- Warnings and Dangers in Tai O
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tai O
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Tai O?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tai O
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Shi Intro, 66 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 39 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 23 reviews, 88 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Tao Intro, 25 reviews, 71 photos
- New York City Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Lijiang Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos