"wellington, nz" Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington by djramey
Wellington Travel Guide: 606 reviews and 1,335 photos
Wellington, like few other cities in the world, can capture the heart and cement itself in the memory of so many different types of people. Providing landscapes full of beaches, mountains, the bush, trendy clubs, parliament buildings, music, art, and so much more, Wellington really is the beauty of a magnificent cornucopia.
The earliest name of the city that is now Wellington was given by a Maori legend; Te Upoko o te Ika a Maui. This can be translated to mean ‘the head of Maui’s fish.’ The fish being the whole of the North Island in that particular legend which is taught to school kids throughout the country. Kupe, a Polynesian explorer, is given credit for having founded the area around the 10th century.
In present times, Wellington enjoys and boasts its throne of being the world’s southern most capital and the first to see the sun each day, and the morning must be quite popular as Wellington contains more coffee shops than any other city in the world per capita.
However, this town does not stay inside often and drink away their miseries of ill tempered weather. It has more days of sun than Auckland, Melbourne, and London and it has less rain than Auckland and Sydney. What it does have however is a lot of wind. Known as Wendy Wellington, you will feel a steady if not calming breeze everyday you are in the city.
Though only around 160,000 people reside in the city, you will find most out and about with great cheer and smiles on Lambton Quay, the city’s center for entertainment and drink. Though Lambton Quay is not the only place to find the bars, coffee shops, or gentlemen’s’ clubs, it is the most populated by tourists and residents alike.
Wellington has been called the city for the hip and trendy, but don’t be amiss by thinking they are only concerned about themselves. Te Papa, the nation’s museum, lies here and is a proud member of the community. You won’t be able to visit any travel center or speak with any resident that lacks to recommend Te Papa. It is a masterpiece of a museum and a must visit. You will also see natural beauty just outside of the city at Makara Beach or Otari Bush. Let me not forget to mention the Botanical Gardens which rivals New York City’s Central Park in beauty.
Wellington truly is a place for all types and captured my heart during my month and a half stay. I like to tell people that Wellington is one of a very few places I would like to live in the entire world. I left a big piece of my heart in this city and hope to reclaim it by subsequent visits in the very near future.
- Pros:Kind People, Beautiful Landscapes, Entertainment
- Cons:Everything is uphill
- In a nutshell:The most beautiful place I've ever been
Though travel is something all Kiwi's adore (well most) the art of travel on all facets hasn't been mastered. To drive... more travel advice
Located on Wellington's Courtney Place, Molly Malone's, also commonly known as Molly's, sits in the cities busiest and... more travel advice
djramey's Related Pages
Wellington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capital on Shaky Hills and wind-swept Seas"
- "Wellington - Capital of New Zealand"
- "Raffish and Energetic - Quirky and Agreeable"
- "WELLINGTON - The Capital of our country."
- "wellington, nz"
- "Makara Beach"
- "Windy Wellington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wellington
- Hotels in Wellington
- Transportation in Wellington
- Nightlife in Wellington
- Restaurants in Wellington
- Shopping in Wellington
- Warnings and Dangers in Wellington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wellington
- 14 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Wellington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wellington
Photos in WellingtonSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 35 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 19 reviews, 14 photos
- Kent Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Franklin Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newport Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Napier Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 1 review, 3 photos