"I'm back" djramey's Profile

...and from dreams reality is created. The land where mysteries become discoveries. The land where true faith and true happiness is universal. The place where anything or everything is possible, and the only leaders are the dreamers.

PLEASE DO NOT USE (c) PHOTOS WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

The Desire to Travel...

Growing up in a small town in Indiana, diversity and difference were not common vocabulary. Though my hometown was not what some may call a racist city, it was fairly conservative and close-minded. I noticed from the beginning however that people are different, that people can change, and that there is beauty in those characteristics. I don't remember the first time I saw a person of different skin or voice, but I can also say I don't remember being told that they are bad or evil as some children are today.

This is what I think directly relates to my wanting and wiliness to travel, to explore new lands. I remember hearing stories from my aunt Bobbi who was an airline stewardess. She would tell me of the places she was going to and the places she had been. She would bring me coins and paper cash from each location. She would show me pictures and tell me about the people in them. Another of my aunts, Leigh, wrote a short non-fiction about her journey to Europe with Bobbi, and how they got separated. Leigh had trouble with passport and visa requirements and was forced to ask for help from the locales. She told me how they never hesitated to put her up and get her in touch with the needed authorities. This is the essence of my wanting to travel, and wanting to meet these people.

I began my travel with a senior trip in 1999 to the West Coast. The moment I stepped on the plane in Indianapolis for San Francisco changed my life for the future. We arrived with an innocence that only Midwesterners can understand. We traveled north to Oregon and Seattle. The things I saw, the people I met, and the places I ate instilled in me a desire to do this more often. I still seek these new things, and often find them.

The summer of 2001 changed my traveling life more than any of the previous events. I had decided to work for a children's camp in western Connecticut, but was unsure as to what I would gain from it. I always liked working with children, but the other counselors I met rejuvenated this passion for travel. I met people from Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Poland, and Canada, many of whom I consider best friends to this day. They would tell me stories too about their travels. It was then I began to realize that the United States was not really a traveling country like these others, and I didn't want any longer to be like this. I found VirtualTourist later that year and my eyes were opened, I took the green pill.

Everybody Loves Ramey

Graduated in 2003 and looking for a job
Some of my former goals in life have changed as has the position I now stand. I recently completed my 4th summer at a summer camp in estern Connecticut. I have accepted a postion working in an internship role of full time camping. This will place me in southern New York state on the New Jersey boarder.

Hobbies
My hobbies include working with children, teaching and coaching baseball, listening to music, writing screenplays and short stories, creating and editing webpages, and OF COURSE traveling. I have my own personal page if you would like to visit, http://php.indiana.edu/~djramey.

Travel Wish List
My travel wish list consists of quite a variety of destinations. One place I really would like to visit but don't think I will be seeing anytime soon is Israel. We all know the problems there and I am just not sure enough to visit. Another on my list is Brunei. I have always been intrigued by the differences of it and the United States. Lastly, I would love to visit any of the African nations. I looked for a while to work for the Peace Corps, but two years away from home is to much for me. We'll see, soon enough I will get there I hope!

In the Near Future
Back from my first time out of country, New Zealand gave me the true travel bug. I've been all over the United States, but my sights are bigger now, I can see more things.

In the further future, Germany and the World Cup will be taking place and I will visit there in 2006.

Pam :)

• Intro Updated Nov 5, 2006

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Happy Birthday Deryck! Best wishes on your special day.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Happy Birthday to you & have a wonderful day and weekend.:-)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Happy V-day! PJ

• grets's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 10:22 AM

Hi Deryck, nice homepage you've got here. :-) I can relate to what you say about growing up without diversity....I did too in the countryside of Norway. :-)

• Dec 1, 2005 at 11:31 PM

hey dj! you have a nice homepage, whatcha talkin about?! thanks for visiting my page, in all its goofy glory! cheers, wonks :-)

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 3:01 PM

Nice HP, and lovely auntie stories ... interesting who in our lives inspire us to be who we become :) Greetings from one of your "haven't been there yet" states!

• pabertra's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 7:20 PM

DJ~My phone's been acting up, so sorry you missed me, but glad to hear you are coming. I hope to get a few more people to attend this week. Best~Paige

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2005 at 7:58 AM

Hey, haven't you ever been to Chicago? It's so close by!

• RIPKEN_HOF's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 2:57 PM

Happy Birthday, Dude , ever make it to Havre de Grace ?

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
djramey's Profile Photo

djramey

“The only things you'll ever need, you can carry on your back.”

Real Name