"I'm back" djramey's Profile
Growing up in a small town in Indiana, diversity and difference were not common vocabulary. Though my hometown was not what some may call a racist city, it was fairly conservative and close-minded. I noticed from the beginning however that people are different, that people can change, and that there is beauty in those characteristics. I don't remember the first time I saw a person of different skin or voice, but I can also say I don't remember being told that they are bad or evil as some children are today.
This is what I think directly relates to my wanting and wiliness to travel, to explore new lands. I remember hearing stories from my aunt Bobbi who was an airline stewardess. She would tell me of the places she was going to and the places she had been. She would bring me coins and paper cash from each location. She would show me pictures and tell me about the people in them. Another of my aunts, Leigh, wrote a short non-fiction about her journey to Europe with Bobbi, and how they got separated. Leigh had trouble with passport and visa requirements and was forced to ask for help from the locales. She told me how they never hesitated to put her up and get her in touch with the needed authorities. This is the essence of my wanting to travel, and wanting to meet these people.
I began my travel with a senior trip in 1999 to the West Coast. The moment I stepped on the plane in Indianapolis for San Francisco changed my life for the future. We arrived with an innocence that only Midwesterners can understand. We traveled north to Oregon and Seattle. The things I saw, the people I met, and the places I ate instilled in me a desire to do this more often. I still seek these new things, and often find them.
The summer of 2001 changed my traveling life more than any of the previous events. I had decided to work for a children's camp in western Connecticut, but was unsure as to what I would gain from it. I always liked working with children, but the other counselors I met rejuvenated this passion for travel. I met people from Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Poland, and Canada, many of whom I consider best friends to this day. They would tell me stories too about their travels. It was then I began to realize that the United States was not really a traveling country like these others, and I didn't want any longer to be like this. I found VirtualTourist later that year and my eyes were opened, I took the green pill.
Graduated in 2003 and looking for a job
Some of my former goals in life have changed as has the position I now stand. I recently completed my 4th summer at a summer camp in estern Connecticut. I have accepted a postion working in an internship role of full time camping. This will place me in southern New York state on the New Jersey boarder.
My hobbies include working with children, teaching and coaching baseball, listening to music, writing screenplays and short stories, creating and editing webpages, and OF COURSE traveling. I have my own personal page if you would like to visit, http://php.indiana.edu/~djramey.
Travel Wish List
My travel wish list consists of quite a variety of destinations. One place I really would like to visit but don't think I will be seeing anytime soon is Israel. We all know the problems there and I am just not sure enough to visit. Another on my list is Brunei. I have always been intrigued by the differences of it and the United States. Lastly, I would love to visit any of the African nations. I looked for a while to work for the Peace Corps, but two years away from home is to much for me. We'll see, soon enough I will get there I hope!
In the Near Future
Back from my first time out of country, New Zealand gave me the true travel bug. I've been all over the United States, but my sights are bigger now, I can see more things.
In the further future, Germany and the World Cup will be taking place and I will visit there in 2006.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 101 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Meeting in Indianapolis, Indiana"
- djramey and Leipzig are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "I'm back"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: Traveling story and photo book"
- Wrote a Review Great Pizza and Sandwich's in Indianapolis Restaurants
- Commented on emanuelv's profile page
- updated a New York City Travel Page "new york, ny"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 35 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 14 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 19 reviews, 14 photos
- Kent Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Franklin Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newport Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Napier Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos