Rome Off The Beaten Path Tips by sinoda
Rome Off The Beaten Path: 773 reviews and 1,314 photos
walking around Rome, Italy
Walking around the Aurelian's will open your eyes - in many perspectives, for instance you get a (better) sense of Rome's dimensions...
With a friend I have done the walk-around-the-aurelian-wall this summer ('06). The following link will bring you to my flickr photo page where you'll find some documentation too.
isola Tiberina, Rome
well discovered by the locals but not quit by the tourist hords, this very prominent spot has some significant traits: little traffic noise, sunbathing opportunity midst in the city...
I speak of the river level around the island, most visitors would miss the small steps leading down to the river bank, they would just pass the hospital from one side of the river to the other.
it's the only island in the Tevere in Rome, you can't miss it.
Mainly ethnic vendours will sell all a real market should have. From veggies to fruits over to meat and fish and all sorts of little unnecessary things.
Piazza di Testaccio
has a small but vivid market to offer with vegetables, fruits, meat and fish.
Basic italian grocery sold by mainly Italians.
San Clemente; Rome
San Clemente has a distinguished character and a very living touch to its history.
The general entrance into the church is free but if you want to go below surface you are to pay 1.5e, not much. Downstairs you can explore the many different phases of the different churches that have been erected and torn down here, at this very same spot.
If I remember correctly there have been at least four other churches before San Clemente - quite intriguing.
Catacombes of Callisto; Rome
just south-east of the city-centre you will find the majority of Rome's catacombes - Callisto being the largest and evidently best researched one.
The tunnels and the excavations are really extraordinary. Along with our very inspiring guide father ? (I have forgotten the name, sorry) we plunged into the depths of roman (pre-)Christian history and learned a good deal about the persecution and then the acceptance of Christianity.
from Gianicolo; Rome
There are actually two hot spots on Gianicolo to overview the city centre of Rome.
One is the more common one by the statue of Garibaldi where at noon the they fire an artillery piece.
The other is towards south (on your right hand side when looking at Rome) by the Embassy of Spain just in front of the monumental fountain of Paola (Fontana d’Acqua Paola).
Both sites will grant you a marvellous sight, esp. on sun rise!
More Reviews (23)
- See All fresh fruits
- See All Rose Garden
- See All Agility on two wheels
- See All Colourful flower stands
- See All Roman
sinoda's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Explore the World
- Halsa Hotels
- Netherlands Hotels
- Indian Wells Hotels
- Majorca Island Hotels
- Sverdlovskaya Oblast'
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Off The Beaten Path
- Worthing Off The Beaten Path
- Cherkasy Off The Beaten Path
- Gibraltar Off The Beaten Path
- Zadar Off The Beaten Path
- Phoenix Off The Beaten Path
- Eskilstuna Off The Beaten Path
- Beaumont Off The Beaten Path
- Borovec Off The Beaten Path
- Amsterdam Off The Beaten Path
- Amsterdamse Bos
- Las Salinas de Maras
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 30 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 57 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 51 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brugg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lappi Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kanton Aargau Intro, 3 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Respublika Kareliya Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Venice Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Repovesi Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Hotel Texas
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Welrome Hotel
- 273 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Matisse Properties
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Hotel Giada
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Hotel Viennese
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Residenza al Corso
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2013
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Imperiale Hotel
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Residenza Villa Maria
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Villafranca
- 260 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Rivoli
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Chez Liviana
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Hotel Positano
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Freedom Traveller Hostel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Wrh Suites
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Colosseum- 490 Reviews, 889 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 330 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 183 Reviews, 299 Photos
- Roman Forum- 296 Reviews, 552 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 294 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 141 Reviews, 264 Photos
- Pantheon- 262 Reviews, 530 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 234 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Trajan & Imperial Forums- 90 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Campidoglio - Capitoline Hill- 112 Reviews, 202 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do