"Sigiriya - Rock Frostress" Top 5 Page for this destination Sigiriya by Oscar_Nonis

Sigiriya Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 278 photos

Sigiriya - Lion Rock

Sigiriya dates back from over 7,000 years ago, through Pre-Historic to Proto-Historic to Early Historic times, then as a rock-shelter mountain monastery from about the 3rd century BC, with caves prepared and donated by devotees to the sangha.

The garden city and the palace was built by Kasyapa 477 - 495 AD. Then after Kasyapa's death it was a monastery complex upto about the 14th century.

The Mahavamsa, the ancient historical record of Sri Lanka, describes King Kasyapa as a parricide, who murdered his father King Dhatusena by walling him up alive and then usurping the throne which rightfully belonged to his brother Mogallana. To escape from the armies of Mogallana, Kasyapa is said to have built his palace on the summit of Sigiriya, but Mogallana finally managed to get to Kasyapa and he committed suicide.

However, there is also another version of the Kasyapa story, related by one of the most eminent historians of Sri Lanka, Prof. Senerat Paranavitana. He claims to have deciphered the story of Sigiry, written by a monk named Ananda in the 15th cent. AD. this work had been inscribed on stone slabs, over which later inscriptions had been written. Till to date no other epigraphist has made a serious attempt to read the interlinear inscriptions.

top of the rock

This is under construction and I wish to complete this section soon. if you need any further details please don't hesitate to contact me.

Paintings of Sigiriya

• Last visit to Sigiriya: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2004

Badges & Stats in Sigiriya

Have you been to Sigiriya?

Latest Activity in Sigiriya