"Lake Baikal" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Baikal by kryzzo
Lake Baikal Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 66 photos
Siberia is an ancient land full of enigmatic places and mystery. The blue eye of Siberia is lake Baikal. It is the oldest lake in the world, the most isolated. Lake Baikal is an intact ecosystem, pristine, and uncontaminated by other systems. It is a window of evolution, an opportunity to know more about the past, our past and a future development of our planet. Crystal clear air and majestic beauty makes Baikal a place to treasure, but what makes it unique is the quality of the water itself - said to be the purest in the world.
Baikal is the deepest lake in the world - its maximum depth is 1637 m, i.e., slightly more than one mile. It contains very pure water that one can drink directly from the lake. It is the home of a large number, more than 1200, of endemic species. The most famous of which is the Baikal freshwater seal, called nerpa (also here). More than 330 rivers are flowing into Baikal, and only a single one, Angara, is flowing out of the Lake.
- In a nutshell:The pearl of Siberia
A life experience is to walk on Lake Baikal and actually be on an ic rink the size of Belgium. more travel advice
Quite a dangerous activity in the beginning since the melting ice can get very slippery and since the ice is cracking... more travel advice
kryzzo's Related Pages
Lake Baikal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Lake Baikal"
- "Lake Baikal"
- "Baikalsk (Babkha)"
- "Lake Baikal - The Budget Way"
- "Transsiberian Railway : Russia - Lake Baikal"
- "The oldest and deepest fresh water on Earth!"
- "Lake Baikal is big"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Baikal
- Hotels in Lake Baikal
- Transportation in Lake Baikal
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Baikal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Baikal
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lake Baikal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Baikal
Photos in Lake BaikalSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Listvyanka Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Baikal Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Egypt Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Zimbabwe Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Durban Intro, 13 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Irkutsk 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ulaanbaatar Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue