"ATLC's Swaziland Page" Swaziland by ATLC
Swaziland Travel Guide: 261 reviews and 654 photos
We came through Swaziland on our tour of eastern South Africa and stayed at a bungalow hotel called Forresters Arms.
I still have to put up a few tips and photo's.
Swaziland is a kingdom and the previous king used to be the longest reigning monarch in the world.
Each year there is a huge festival in September when the king receives all the maidens of the country. Then he chooses a fiancée (not every year, but even so... quite often!), who he will wed the following year. It is of course, a great honour for the girl.
Hundreds of Swahili girls dance for the king. Unmarried maidens do not cover their upper body but decorate themselves with colourful bead jewelry. You can see pictures of that on my South Africa page.
A very foreign concept to us Europeans.
The festival is exclusively for the Swahili. Foreigners are not allowed to attend. Or very rarely so.
We found the Swazi women that worked at our hotel to be more independent and self-assured than the South African women. Maybe this has to do with the fact that Swaziland was not a colony, nor was there apartheid.
I didn't think the people were much poorer compared to South
Africa. Besides, "poor" is a relative concept and of course many of the African problems (HIV/AIDS and malnourishment) exist in Swaziland also.
I did not feel unsafe there and there were nice routes to be driven by car. And lots and lots of souvenirs!
Pity I didn't know about VT then!
This was in a little village with lots of local craft.
We found a Dutch lady who ran a batik (cloth dying) shop and who taught the local women to dye the cloth in African patterns.
Unfortunately the land is deforested quite a lot. It was sad to see those bare hills where on the map it showed to be thickly covered with trees.
For the moment it seems I cannot upload any pictures, but will add a few more later, including the address of Forrester's Arms which was a super place to stay and had the best food I ate during this trip (better even than in Sun City).
Two coins of 2 emalangeni each. One side shows the king and the other side, I think those are arums. Other than that I... more travel advice
We stumbled on this little batik factory (run by a Dutch woman). Batik is very common in Africa but it did come from... more travel advice
ATLC's Related Pages
Swaziland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kingdom of Swaziland"
- "Swaziland - The Switzerland of Africa"
- "THE KINGDOM OF SWAZILAND"
- "wadekorzan's new Swaziland Page"
- "Two Days in Swaziland"
- "Swaziland, the chillest kingdom in Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swaziland
- Hotels in Swaziland
- Transportation in Swaziland
- Nightlife in Swaziland
- Restaurants in Swaziland
- Shopping in Swaziland
- Warnings and Dangers in Swaziland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Swaziland
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Swaziland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swaziland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues