"Alkmaar from the inside" Top 5 Page for this destination Alkmaar by ATLC

Alkmaar Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 345 photos

Cheese market

The most famous feature of Alkmaar is its traditional cheesemarket, which takes place every Friday morning during summer season.

I was involved in the organisation of an international conference in Alkmaar and so visited Alkmaar a lot during the period 2004-2006. We were received by the tourist board director, and the mayor welcomed us in the town hall with a tour of the place where visitors ordinarly don't come. We also checked out two hotels for future accomodation of some 600-800 delegates.
And we checked out places where the various meetings could take place. The most spectacular was a water tower, where an architects firm is located. The original water reservoir and the top floor (a glass construction) including an open air terrace can be rented out for meetings. Very unusual.

• Last visit to Alkmaar: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2007

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Hey ATLC, nice tips, tomorrow i'll visit the cheesemarket for the first time...shame on me :-)

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 3:01 AM

Thanks For The Info!

• matt10gonzalez's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Oh yeah! The cheese! The famous cheeses of Holland! I forgot to see that when I was there! Wow!!! There's so many things to do for such a small country! I really should go back here one day!

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 4:32 AM

Alkmaar is good, excellent updates; thanks for sharing AT.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 6:23 AM

Nice place for the conference (in 2006) :-) It's so unusual to have a meeting inside the water tower but interior is great and i think I'd like to have such party!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 10:52 PM

second shopping town in NL, did not know that

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2004 at 2:55 PM

Where is the Cheese?

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Alkmaar

Have you been to Alkmaar?

Latest Activity in Alkmaar