"Not much except for the name..." America by ATLC

America Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 13 photos

Not much to say about this place, save for its name :-)

It was a bit difficult to make the photo because there was no parking space. I parked my car a little further down (just seen behind the road sign) but trucks and cars kept roaring by.

Ah! I see people asking if there is a story behind this. Not really. Not much more than what I said above.... although.....
that morning in the castle gardens of Kasteel Arcen (see my Kasteel Arcen page), I discovered how to work the remote thingy on my camera (you know.... you set the camera, run back to join the others and then the camera clicks away). Well, that is called a "zelfontspanner" in Dutch which literally translates to "self-relaxer". So my friend and I were joking about going to America and going to "self-relax" in front of the America road sign. The whole idea appealed mightly to our dirty minds.

Alas, there was nowhere to put the camera and traffic kept roaring past. So we had to suffice with posing alone....
Oh, and nearby is a place called California but it is so tiny it doesn't even have a road sign.

• Last visit to America: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2003

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 8:31 AM

America....just as you'd pictured it in your mind, right? I had no idea there was one in the NL too!

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2004 at 11:44 PM

Have a very happy zelfontspanner birthday!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2003 at 5:10 AM

So funny!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2003 at 1:30 PM

Great picture! There must be a story behind this :) I come from a state with a Rome, a Syracuse and a Mexico [NY]-- and there is certainly Paris, Texas -- but you have to wonder who named this one:) Great explanation of how the pic got taken btw ;)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2003 at 12:46 PM

I can't stop laughing! Great picture! And self-relaxing explanation! Btw we have Venice (Wenecja), Roma (Rzym) and Paris (Paryz) in Poland but still no America :-))) I was in polish Venice, you inspired me to put up its page hehe :-)))

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 5:09 PM

Funny pic! America looks like a pretty dead place, judging by the farms behind you...

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in America

Have you been to America?

Latest Activity in America