Amsterdam Transportation Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Transportation: 851 reviews and 1,000 photos
Parking is horrendous in the city. The rate is € 3 per hour in the inner city and € 1,80 per hour outside the canal belt.
Car parks will be around € 2,50 per hour.
There are P+R parks at the edge of the city.
Do consult the website mentioned below (English). A very clear and easy to use website for all your parking questions.
Type: Car/Motor Home
All bus, metro and tram lines are on this map. So it's easy to find your way around.
Click section to enlarge.
And everything you need to know about public transport in Amsterdam (bus/tram/metro) at the link below (in English of course!).
For a holiday, I agree that 6 days is a very tight schedule. Not really my idea of a holiday. But I've seen much worse on this forum.
However, if you were on business, you would not blink at this schedule.
We have the fast train Thalys after all.
Let me suggest an itinerary:
Day 1: (on arrival): take the Thalys to Paris (you need to book Thalys in advance), travel = about 3 hours.
Day 2: Spend in Paris
Day 3: (in the morning): take the Thalys back to Brussels (Belgium), travel = about 90 minutes
Day 4: take a train to Aachen (Germany), which is just on the Dutch/Belgian border. Enjoy the cathedral, etc. Travel time: with Thalys: 70 minutes. With local train: 2 hrs and 30 mins
Day 5: visit Maastricht (20 kms from Aachen, very nice Dutch city) and/or do that 'Drielandenpunt' (Belgium/Germany/Netherlands) as johngayton suggests
Day 6: back to Amsterdam and enjoy any time left there. Train from Maastricht to Amsterdam (local, just hop on). Travel time: 2 hrs and 30 mins
For German and European train schedules: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
For Dutch train schedules and prices: http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers
For Belgian train schedules and prices: www.b-rail.be/main/E/
For Thalys: http://www.thalys.com/ (only to be booked in advance!)
Port of Amsterdam
Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (PTA)
Port of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Address: De Ruijterkade 7, 1013 AA Amsterdam
Take a train to Amsterdam Central from Schiphol (6 trains per hour), after that it's a 6 minute walk. Or if struggling with luggage, a taxi might be handy since it's only a short way.
The train ride costs 3,80 euro one-way.
Strippenkaart 2008 for bus/metro/tram
In Amsterdam you will mostly use the tram or bus and maybe a metro.
Because the rules for public transportation are all the same nationwide, please see my Netherlands Tip for this here.
Mind you, a 8-strippenkaart (strip card) that is stamped off as day ticket is only valid in a certain area (such as Amsterdam inner city) for bus/metro/tram and some local trains. You need 2 8-strippenkaart for a nationwide day ticket.
For more information click here
You should note that especially for Amsterdam, you might not even need a day ticket because you can walk quite a lot.
If you're going to have more than 4 rides on a day, then it is better value to stamp off your 8-strippenkaart as a day ticket. If it's going to be less (which is probable), then just stamp off strips as needed.
Alternately, buy yourself a 15-strippenkaart for € 6,90 (not available in buses or trams or metros) and stamp off strips as needed. In my opinion you'll get more transportation for less money.
Below you will find the link to the public transportation website for Amsterdam.
See http://www.yellowbike.nl/en/ and note:
"A lot of hotels work together with the Yellow Bike delivery service. Order your bike at the reception and your bike will be there early in the morning before 9.00h. Easy as it is: no need to go out looking for a rental point, no waiting, no leaving your identity card and no extra costs. Ask your reception for the Yellow Bike Hotelservice"
This website also offers two cycling routes that start daily at 11 am. One in the city of Amsterdam, the other a Countryside tour.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 020 6206940
NS (that's the Dutch national railway, see website below) offers free travel for children up to 4 years. From 4-11 it's 2 euro per ticket. If accompanied by an adult 19+ years of age.
Lots of people visiting Amsterdam, who want to go to Antwerp (Belgium) by train.
Normal trains go every hour and take 2 hrs 9 min. from station to station. No reservation needed.
Thalys goes 6 times a day, takes 2 hrs and 23 min. Reservation needed and you have to change trains at Antwerpen Berchem (one stop before Antwerpen Central).
Earliest train (not a Thalys) goes at 7.23 hrs
Latest train (not a Thalys) goes at 21:23 hrs
Because you cross a boundary into another country, the fare is not shown on the website.
To give an idea: the fare from Amsterdam to Roosendaal (the last Dutch train station before crossing the border with Belgium):
Single ticket € 17,80
Return ticket € 30,30
You'll be using Dutch Railway which means you can check all this the national railway website. Go to link below and click English at the top.
Dutch railway (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) has an excellent website for English readers.
The train network in The Netherlands is quite dense so you can go just about anywhere.
Includes train schedules and prices.
Click link below and click 'English' at the top.
If you want absolutely free, go to the train station in Weesp. You can park your car there and the train takes you in 12-16 minutes to the Amsterdam Central Station.
There are about 4 trains per hour.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (118)
- See All A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's...
- See All Where to get your laundry done.
- See All Winner B&B 2009/self-catering near...
- See All Gluten free / coeliaki
- See All DIY in Amsterdam
- See All Second hand clothing male/female
- See All A walk through De Pijp
- See All City walk with a local
- See All Amsterdam for the disabled
- Surinamese multicultural festival
- Amsterdam is a tourist trap
Been to Amsterdam?Share your travels with the world!
ATLC's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 129 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 1,374 Forum posts
- 105 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (250)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Assen Forum "Re: Trains from Amsterdam..."
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's Day. about New Year's Day Swim in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A walk through De Pijp"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "A layover at Schiphol (Amsterdam Airport)"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (155)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 145 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 192 Reviews, 314 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 68 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 213 Reviews, 359 Photos
- Dam Square- 90 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 168 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Coffee(Cannabis)shops- 124 Reviews, 134 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do