Amsterdam Things to Do Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Things to Do: 3,494 reviews and 5,650 photos
TunFun, Amsterdam, 0 - 12 yrs - www.tunfun.nl (for discount: click here)
Kamertheater, Amsterdam, 1 - 12 yrs –Kamertheater.nl
Restaurant The Wave, Amsterdam, 0 - 99 yrs - restaurant-thewave.nl
Boerderij Meerzicht, Amsterdam, 0 - 99 yrs – see my tip here
Pannenkoekenboot Amsterdam, Amsterdam-Noord, 1 - 99 yrs – Pancake Boat
Restaurant Praq, Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, 0 - 99 yrs - Praq.nl
Small animals farm
Kinderboerderij Westerpark, Amsterdam, 0 - 15 yrs - Kibo Westerpark
De Ridammerhoeve Goat Farm, Amstelveen, 1 - 10 yrs - Geitenboerderij
Small animal farm t Brinkie, Amsterdam, 0 - 16 yrs - Brinkie
Zaanse Schans, Zaandam, 0 - 99 yrs – search Zaanse Schans on VT
Amstelbad, Ouderkerk a/d Amstel, 0 - 99 yrs –Amstelbad
Directions: In Amsterdam
AMSTERDAM CENTRAL STATION
Let me take you on the walk that we did with the VT meeting on February 22nd 2003. In my Amsterdam intro you'll already have read who were present and that it was sunny but a bit cold too!
Instead of the kilometers we walked, you will be guided through 70 tips and I bet you'll be tired after you've done that. But I hope you'll have a great time following in our footsteps.
Are you ready?
I came by train with RubenE and this is what we saw first.... the elaborate interior of Amsterdam Central Station.
AMSTERDAM CENTRAL STATION
So when you get out of Central Station, look back and up at the magnificent front.
AMSTERDAM CENTRAL STATION
And look again! And decide that next time you come, you'll make a proper examination of this building by the Dutch architect Berlage.
But not now, as we were already late-ish for the meeting.
AMSTERDAM STATION SQUARE
Back with your feet on the ground, this is what you see first when you look straight ahead, coming out of the station. Hotel Victoria is a prominent building. But what always catches my eye is the enormous diversity of people walking to and fro. Working people hurrying, well dressed ladies out for a day of shopping, junks and homeless selling the Straatkrant (street paper), musicians, tourists, the man in the hotdog stand and trams dispersing people and taking on new loads to start yet another round.
AMSTERDAM STATION AND COFFEEHOUSE
Off we go to the VT meeting point, crossing the Haven Front (Harbour Front), then left onto Prins Hendrikkade.
To our left we see Central Station and the Smits Koffiehuis in front of it. There's a Tourist Information inside but Smits Koffiehuis is a typical Dutch coffeehouse which is a popular meeting place.
AMSTERDAM GELDERSE KADE
Just beside the Schreierstoren is the Geldersekade and there we hit on a typical Amsterdam, Dutch sight even. A bridge where bicycles are parked.
AMSTERDAM INSIDE SCHREIERSTOREN
While making the previous picture, Igraine came out and called us in. We were indeed, a little late!
Handshaking and kisses all around. Familiar faces with familiar names, familiar names and unfamiliar faces, new names and new faces!
On the photo the interior of the VOC Café in Schreierstoren and Nighthawk in the background looking over some free publicity postcards.
Schreierstoren built around 1487 is the only defence tower left of the fortifications built between 1481 en 1494.
It's original name was Schreyhoecktoren, probably because of the sharp angle ("schrey") where Gelderse Kade and Oudezijds Kolk meet. But it is better known as the place where women saw their loved once leave for the sea. "Schreien" means "to cry".
VOC stands for Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie (Eastindian trading company), the world's first multinational which brought The Netherlands great riches.
AMSTERDAM SCHREIERSTOREN ON PRINS HENDRIK KADE
The first thing pieter_jan_v said to me when we arrived at the VOC pub was: You need new shoes. Now, wherever did he get that from?
He was busy phoning people from the other VT meetings that were taking place that day (and he continued trying all day). I teased him with the enormous paperwork that he carried around. He did that in Rotterdam too, last August!
Slightly distracted, some 30 metres along the road I spot this sublime car...
More Reviews (56)
- See All Where to get your laundry done.
- See All Winner B&B 2009/self-catering near...
- See All Gluten free / coeliaki
- See All 4 countries, 6 days
- See All DIY in Amsterdam
- See All Second hand clothing male/female
- See All A walk through De Pijp
- See All City walk with a local
- See All Amsterdam for the disabled
- Surinamese multicultural festival
- Amsterdam is a tourist trap
Been to Amsterdam?Share your travels with the world!
ATLC's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 129 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 1,374 Forum posts
- 105 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (250)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Maastricht Forum "Re: hop on hop off"
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's Day. about New Year's Day Swim in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A walk through De Pijp"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "A layover at Schiphol (Amsterdam Airport)"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 145 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 193 Reviews, 314 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 213 Reviews, 359 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 69 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Dam Square- 90 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 168 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Coffee(Cannabis)shops- 124 Reviews, 134 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do