Amsterdam Things to Do Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Things to Do: 3,407 reviews and 5,412 photos
Howdy! There is a rather odd but spectacular tradition on New Years Day on various beaches in The Netherlands.
I am pointing you to Zandvoort (location Beachclub Take Five) to watch (or participate) in the New Years Dive (Nieuwjaarsduik) at 14.00 hrs on January 1st.
Over 3000 people will dip, dive and/or swim in the cold winter sea.
Here's some info and photos:
If you want to participate, let me know and I'll translate the info for you.
OK... how to get there:
Take a direct train (Sprinter) for a 35 minute ride from Amsterdam Sloterdijk station to Zandvoort aan Zee (Zandvoort-on-sea). Then a 9 minute walk to the beach club. Trains go each 30 minutes (at 23 and 53 minutes past the hour).
Here's a birds eye map:
(continue reading below)
Directions: And here's the schedule including a link to a map for the 9 minute walk:
When you buy your train ticket at Schiphol train station, then ask for a 'Dagretour' or day-return-ticket. It's 7,10 euro (that's cheaper than 2x 3,70 euro) and you can just hop on the train back to Schiphol in the evening.
For your preparations, you may want to know that:
all train schedules in English can be found at:
all public transportation schedules in English, including trains, can be found at:
Also, if you want to go to Zaanse Schans straight from Schiphol, then do as follows:
Buy a 'dagretour' ticket from Schiphol to Amsterdam Central VIA Koog-Zaandijk. This way, you can visit Zaanse Schans, then take a train to Amsterdam and enjoy yourself, and then take a train back to Schiphol, all on the one ticket.
The ticket will cost you 12.40 euro and the train ride is just over 30 minutes, with one change at Amsterdam Sloterdijk. There are 4 of these trains per hour.
Check my information against the websites I mentioned above!
Once you arrive at Koog-Zaandijk, you walk 10 minutes to Zaanse Schans.
There is an excellent bus service operating from Amsterdam Central Station direct to the Zaanse Schans. Bus 91 leaves Amsterdam Central Station twice hourly and stops at the St. Michael College next to the Zaans Museum and Zaanse Schans.
TunFun, Amsterdam, 0 - 12 yrs - www.tunfun.nl (for discount: click here)
Kamertheater, Amsterdam, 1 - 12 yrs –Kamertheater.nl
Restaurant The Wave, Amsterdam, 0 - 99 yrs - restaurant-thewave.nl
Boerderij Meerzicht, Amsterdam, 0 - 99 yrs – see my tip here
Pannenkoekenboot Amsterdam, Amsterdam-Noord, 1 - 99 yrs – Pancake Boat
Restaurant Praq, Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, 0 - 99 yrs - Praq.nl
Small animals farm
Kinderboerderij Westerpark, Amsterdam, 0 - 15 yrs - Kibo Westerpark
De Ridammerhoeve Goat Farm, Amstelveen, 1 - 10 yrs - Geitenboerderij
Small animal farm t Brinkie, Amsterdam, 0 - 16 yrs - Brinkie
Zaanse Schans, Zaandam, 0 - 99 yrs – search Zaanse Schans on VT
Amstelbad, Ouderkerk a/d Amstel, 0 - 99 yrs –Amstelbad
Directions: In Amsterdam
Or so my clever son RubenE tells me. He's very much into Latin and Greek literature as we will find out later in the day.
Nemo is an experience between fantasy and reality and educates in areas as natural sciences, technology, information technology and biomedical sciences.
We were not going inside today but you can read more information on the website below.
PRINS HENDRIK OF THE NETHERLANDS
Sorry sir! I bumped into Prins Hendrik, husband of Wilhelmina, Queen of The Netherlands (she lived 1880-1962). What his bust is doing on the Oosterdokskade, I haven't a clue. He probably had to be put somewhere. His extravagant lifestyle and extramarital activities were euphemistically called "a zest for life".
Afterthought: am I dumb or what? The bust of Prins Hendrik is on the Prins Hendrik kade of course! That's why he's there. DOH!
AMSTERDAM CENTRAL STATION
Let me take you on the walk that we did with the VT meeting on February 22nd 2003. In my Amsterdam intro you'll already have read who were present and that it was sunny but a bit cold too!
Instead of the kilometers we walked, you will be guided through 70 tips and I bet you'll be tired after you've done that. But I hope you'll have a great time following in our footsteps.
Are you ready?
I came by train with RubenE and this is what we saw first.... the elaborate interior of Amsterdam Central Station.
RubenE ON THE TRAIN
RubenE and I were a little early for our train back to Rotterdam (1 hr 4 min.). We sat in an almost empty carriage and a noticed two junks, one with his hand in his opened fly and both holding some kind of drugs.
I didn't feel comfortable and went out to find a train conductor. Chance had it both conductors were talking to four policemen. I only said there were two junks in the train and two policemen pushed me aside, rushed in and arrested them.
Okay, so this is Amsterdam too (although of course this happens in more places and not only in Amsterdam).
No more incidents until we reached home tired and satisfied.
Standing around on the Dam we realised we was tired and hungry. After setting off from Schreierstoren some 5 hours before, we'd had only one real stop to sit down!
So we went in search of a restaurant, walked down Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal to the Nieuwezijdskolk where I knew a little restaurants run by very friendly Egyptians (see Restaurant tips).
We'd just finished our main course when martin_nl came in and thanked us for not disturbing him at work as he'd certainly have lost his job if we had.
Dila turned out to be a tram conductor and real born and bred Amsterdammer. She handed out little maps of Amsterdam which was really kind of her.
pieter_jan_v finally succeeded in contacting all VT meetings going on that day.
Nighthawk and I really enjoyed the sitting down and complained about old age.
Cuckoo finally gave up on her crumbly bit of bread which I mentioned earlier, she had been carrying around all day as a leftover from her lunch!
We all walked to the station afterwards after a long but wonderful day!
But hang on.....there's just one more thing...
Address: Nieuwezijds Kolk
AMSTERDAM DE DAM STREET ARTIST
Another artist gave cause to much amusement. Against the backdrop of the royal palace he was also a great sight to see.
The Royal Palace (Koninklijk Paleis) was built between 1648 and 1665 when in fact The Netherlands was not even a monarchy then.
The building was meant to be the new town hall until king Louis Napoleon changed it to a palace in 1808 when The Netherlands was part of the French empire. Some 7 years later The Netherlands became a monarchy under King William I.
The design is by Jacob van Campen and Daniel Stalpaert. After the Treaty of Munster in 1648 there was such euforia that the grandest plan for the new town hall was realised.
At the time such grandeur was unknown in Europe and it was the largest governmental building in the Europe of that time. It was a symbol of the glory and wealth of The Netherlands at the peak of its power.
Address: de Dam
AMSTERDAM DE DAM
Many street artists earn a little by performing on the Dam in front of the royal palace.
Here's one guy pretending to be two little guys.
More Reviews (56)
- See All Where to get your laundry done.
- See All Winner B&B 2009/self-catering near...
- See All Gluten free / coeliaki
- See All 4 countries, 6 days
- See All DIY in Amsterdam
- See All Second hand clothing male/female
- See All A walk through De Pijp
- See All City walk with a local
- See All Amsterdam for the disabled
- Surinamese multicultural festival
- Amsterdam is a tourist trap
Been to Amsterdam?Share your travels with the world!
ATLC's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bad Tölz
- Brits Hotels
- Cam Pha Hotels
- Sturgeon Bay Hotels
- Nueva Andalucía Hotels
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 129 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 1,382 Forum posts
- 109 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel New Zealand Forum "Re: Those things normally left..."
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's Day. in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A walk through De Pijp"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "A layover at Schiphol (Amsterdam Airport)"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews
- Cordial Hotel
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Get Lucky Guesthouse
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Ambassade Hotel
- 432 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Ben Hotel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hotel Residence Le Coin
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Amsterdam Cribs Red Light
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Centrum Zuidwest
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Prinsen Hotel
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Manofa Hotel Amsterdam
- 283 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport
- 244 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotel Singel
- 367 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Albus Hotel
- 450 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Best Western Inn Amsterdam
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 143 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 208 Reviews, 342 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 165 Reviews, 174 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 65 Reviews, 101 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do