Amsterdam Restaurant Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Amsterdam Restaurants: 1,139 reviews and 1,230 photos
January 17th 2003 (original)
Kitchen open: Mon-Thur 11.00-01.00, Fri tot 02.00, Sat 09.00-02.00, Sun 9.00-24.00
Located in a former protestant church (Gereformeerde kerk) built in the 19th century. The grand café is on the ground floor, the restaurant on the balcony on either side of the building. It's a very imposing building with 5 art-deco chandeliers from a casino from the Belgian Blankenberg, seven ceiling lamps come from New York, the entry is from a theatre in Paris and the toilets still show it's church history.
Great place to take a break from shopping on the Albert Cuyp (daily market and many special and exotic shops).
Visit 2008 This Grand Café has changed to Bazar Amsterdam, a North African style restaurant with two levels.
Favorite Dish: We had a mint tea here (€ 1,90) with fresh mint.
The menu is the same as at Bazar Rotterdam (the original Bazar!). Though it puts itself forward as 'international' the cuisine is more Mediterranean (Morrocon, Turkish). I liked the falafel, the spicy chicken looked good. The attempt at the Dutch 'broodje gezond' (bread with ham, cheese, egg, salad, etc.) was waaayyy overdone and as such not a good idea.
Address: Albert Cuypstraat 182, Amsterdam
Comparison: about average
Phone: 020 6750544
It is wise to announce beforehand about your diet so that the kitchen can prepare.
These restaurants all have good recommendations on the internet (all in Dutch).
'Van de Markt'
Pizza (yes!) at 'De Italiaan'
'Indian Roti Room'
Japanese at Yamazato (at the Okura Hotel)
Spanish at Tapa Feliz
Baan Thai, Amsterdam
The reviews on this restaurant vary rather. From very enthusiastic to a bit grumpy. OK, so the restaurant's intererior is nice and well maintained, good linen on the tables, nice hostesses that speak good Dutch (for our Dutch visitors). And for a Wednesday evening, in a street full of restaurants, quite some guests.
Favorite Dish: The meats they use here are steak, chicken breasts and pork fillet. In my opinion not very interesting meat and I was right when our dish of pork fillet (small pieces) with Thai basil and chillies arrived: the meat was too chewy. We left most of it uneaten.
The fried mullet (a whole fish) in curry sauce and coconut milk however, was excellent. Fingerlicking good! Served with white rice. Fried rice or noodles cost extra (3,25 euro). I would certainly return for this dish! Price of the fish: 21.50 euro. Look at the 2nd photo in this tip: we ate it all!
For starters deepfried shrimp meat in wantan (the shrimp meat was somewhat shredded and as such not recognisable, nor any possible additives), announced on the menu as fried shrimp. Not bad. ANother starter was the Thai fish cookies, a classic. A bit watery to my taste.
Address: Amstelveenseweg 83, 1075 VW Amsterdam
Comparison: about average
Directions: At the most western end of Vondelpark.
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim
Just outside Amsterdam is the Amsterdamse Bos, a city park where you can row, cycle, picknick and walk. Then it's fun to have a little refreshment here. A former farm turned restaurant, ideal to take the children (there is a playground) and enjoy the open air.
Favorite Dish: Not memorable kitchen really. But the pancakes are popular with kiddies and for a simple lunch or dinner it's perfectly fine. The restaurant is selfservice, though any hot food (apart from soup) will be brought to your table.
Lunch for two: € 15,10
Some soup, a sandwich and a drink each.
Address: Koenekade 56, 1081 KG Amsterdam
Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: 020 6792744
GRANDE FONDUE AT RESTAURANT CRIGNON
A cheese fondue restaurant in a narrow building near Central Station, spread out over 3 floors (with VERY narrow staircase!).
Visit: 10 October 2003.
Favorite Dish: Grande fondue (5 different fondues) € 39,50 per two persons, additional mushrooms, broccoli and pineapple for € 2,10 each.
A tournedos roquefort is € 19,25
A heavenly mousse au chocolat or sorbet at € 6,15 each.
1 bottle of Merlot Pays d'Oc € 17,50
Two soft drinks at average € 2,40 each.
On average we spent € 35 per person (including tip).
Address: Gravenstraat 28, 1012 HM Amsterdam
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: From Central Station walk down Damrak, turn right just before the end and walk the narrow street towards LZ Voorburgwal. It's on your right hand.
Phone: 020 6246428
January 17th 2003
No cutlery here! Food is eaten by hand with help of thin pancakes. The pancakes are called enjara.
Food for all diners at one table is served in little piles on a large tin tray. So no individual plates either!
Beer is served in halved coconut shells which looks really nice.
The restaurant was full (Friday night) at aroun 18.00 hrs. and there were plenty of tables already reserved.
Vegetarian is also possible.
Kitchen open 17-22 hrs
Bar open 17-01 hrs
Favorite Dish: My friend ate Kitfo, spicy minced meat (€ 8,60) with salad, 2 lentil dishes, boiled vegs and ayb (feta).
I ate the Ibis special (€ 12,00), a mix of a few Ethiopian dishes. The main dish was a spicy tomatosauce with chicken and egg.
Side dishes like lentil sauce, spicy feta cheese (called ayb), pea sauce, salad, boiled vegetables.
The total bill (including one African beer and one African tea) was € 26 for 2 persons.
Address: Weesperzijde 43, 1091 EE Amsterdam
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Near Amstel hotel
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +31 20 6926267
MY LAMB CHOPS AT LA COLINA
It was the 3rd time that I ate here during the VT meeting on 22-2-2003. And again it was very nice. The Egyptian owner and staff are friendly and service is reasonably quick.
During the evening we saw the place fill up nicely too, which is a good sign.
Favorite Dish: The main item is Argentinian steaks but there is also chicken, lamb and vegetarian.
I ordered a round of garlic bread and melted cheese from the oven.
Side dishes can be ordered separately. Some dishes have side-dishes included.
My favourites are the garlic bread, roast corn, the farmhouse chips and baked potato with sour cream.
Including drinks (wine and lemonade) we spent about ?20 per person.
Address: Nieuwezijds Kolk 9, 1012 PV Amsterdam
Comparison: less expensive than average
AMSTERDAM RESTAURANT INDRAPURA
Indrapura, Indonesian Restaurant
Rather upmarket and very good Indonesian restaurant. It belongs to a group called Selected Indonesian Restaurants (SIR). This group of restaurants supports an orphanage in Indonesia, the FOUNDATION GIRI ASIH NEDERLAND
Favorite Dish: Pangsit Goreng, the wan tan soups, Rendang (spicy beef), fish dishes... the menu is on the website mentioned below!
I base my average price per person on a starter and main course plus 2 drinks.
Address: Rembrandtplein 42, 1017 CV Amsterdam
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: + 31(0)20 6237329
Very busy during lunchroom. The Oud-Zuid neighbourhood is very nice, expensive to live too.
The café looks like a real meeting point for lunch, coffee, drinks or dinner.
The interior is very stylishly art-deco. Looks original too.
Favorite Dish: Club-sandwich bacon/chicken/egg/mayonaise/guacemole
for € 7,50
Big fresh orange juice for € 2,80
Address: Roelof Hartplein 1-3, 1071 TR Amsterdam
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (120)
- See All A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's...
- See All Where to get your laundry done.
- See All Winner B&B 2009/self-catering near...
- See All 4 countries, 6 days
- See All DIY in Amsterdam
- See All Second hand clothing male/female
- See All A walk through De Pijp
- See All City walk with a local
- See All Amsterdam for the disabled
- Surinamese multicultural festival
- Amsterdam is a tourist trap
Been to Amsterdam?Share your travels with the world!
ATLC's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 129 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 1,383 Forum posts
- 109 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: A Walk Around de Pijp"
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's Day. in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A walk through De Pijp"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "A layover at Schiphol (Amsterdam Airport)"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (156)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do