"Amsterdam, is it real?" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by ATLC
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,657 reviews and 22,680 photos
The festival of the Surinamese community, every Saturday and Sunday from July 5 until August 10, 2008, 13-23 hrs.
From the website:
The Kwaku Summer Festival is the biggest multicultural festival in the Netherlands and is held every Saturday and Sunday in the months July and August. It takes place in the Bijlmerpark in Amsterdam Southeast. For six weekends long, the organization offers a very extensive program containing (live) music, movies, sports, food, dancing, information and meetings. The Festival has a different theme every year which is noticeable in the music, performances, art, literature and several elections.
Traditionally, the Festival functions as a platform for ethnic-cultural societies from all over the Netherlands. Thus the Kwaku Festival contributes in a special way to the (multicultural) society; a society in which acceptation and harmony between different communities and individuals is of essential importance. *
Well, because I worked in this city, I was mostly in and out of it quickly.
That's why it took a long time to build a proper page for Amsterdam. The VT meeting helped a lot!
But I do visit regularly to see friends or just be a tourist myself :-)
In Must See Activities Tips I have made a full description of the walk we did during the VT meeting.
If you have a map, you can follow us on our walk. So join in!
It does not pretend to be anywhere near representative of Amsterdam. But I did try to add as much additional information as possible. Especially where history and architecture are concerned.
But this walk is just as importantly also a sketch about the atmosphere during a VT meeting peppered with an anecdote here and there.
I divided the walk in small sections. Remember that VT shows all tips in portions of 10.
A) From Central Station to Schreierstoren to meet up with the group (tips 1-7)
B) From Schreierstoren to Scheepvaarthuis (tips 8-13)
C) Nemo - IJ-tunnel, (tips 14-21)
D) Old ships (tips 22-26)
E) From Prins Hendrikkade to Nieuw Markt (tips 27-31)
F) Waaggebouw, Nieuw Markt, market (tips 32-38)
G) Oudemanshuispoort, historical figures Vossius and Barlaeus, book stalls (tips 39-44)
H) Kloveniersburgwal, Zuiderkerk tower, porch (tips 45-47)
I) Staalstraat towards Waterlooplein (tips 48-51)
J) Waterlooplein, Moses & Aaron church, Stopera (tips 52-56)
K) Rembrandtplein, stop for drinks, Regulierbreestraat, Theater Tuschinski (tips 57-62)
L) Rokin, the Dam, dinner and incident on Central Station (tips 63-70)
It was icy cold but sunny when we met up in Amsterdam for my fourth VT meeting in 10 months.
I never evey imagined spending so much time with VT-ers but here you are. It was fun again and great to see some people during daytime instead of in chat in the dead of night!
- Pros:Will always attract with its charm and history.
- Cons:And yet a tourist trap. Go explore more of The Netherlands!
- In a nutshell:Many Dutch people feel like tourists in Amsterdam
De Pijp (the Pipe) is a very different and attractive neighbourhood in central Amsterdam. Located just southeast of the... more travel advice
In Amsterdam you will mostly use the tram or bus and maybe a metro. Because the rules for public transportation are all... more travel advice
- See All A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's...
- See All Where to get your laundry done.
- See All Winner B&B 2009/self-catering near...
- See All DIY in Amsterdam
ATLC's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 129 Reviews
- 120 Photos
- 1,372 Forum posts
- 105 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (248)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Anyone heard from Anke-Thea?"
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review A (half)daytrip from A'dam on New Year's Day. about New Year's Day Swim in Amsterdam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A walk through De Pijp"
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (120)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues