"Amsterdam, is it real?" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by ATLC

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,236 reviews and 21,450 photos

KWAKOE FESTIVAL
The festival of the Surinamese community, every Saturday and Sunday from July 5 until August 10, 2008, 13-23 hrs.

From the website:
The Kwaku Summer Festival is the biggest multicultural festival in the Netherlands and is held every Saturday and Sunday in the months July and August. It takes place in the Bijlmerpark in Amsterdam Southeast. For six weekends long, the organization offers a very extensive program containing (live) music, movies, sports, food, dancing, information and meetings. The Festival has a different theme every year which is noticeable in the music, performances, art, literature and several elections.

Traditionally, the Festival functions as a platform for ethnic-cultural societies from all over the Netherlands. Thus the Kwaku Festival contributes in a special way to the (multicultural) society; a society in which acceptation and harmony between different communities and individuals is of essential importance.

Well, because I worked in this city, I was mostly in and out of it quickly.
That's why it took a long time to build a proper page for Amsterdam. The VT meeting helped a lot!
But I do visit regularly to see friends or just be a tourist myself :-)

WALK ALONG WITH A VT MEETING IN AMSTERDAM

In Must See Activities Tips I have made a full description of the walk we did during the VT meeting.

If you have a map, you can follow us on our walk. So join in!

It does not pretend to be anywhere near representative of Amsterdam. But I did try to add as much additional information as possible. Especially where history and architecture are concerned.

But this walk is just as importantly also a sketch about the atmosphere during a VT meeting peppered with an anecdote here and there.

I divided the walk in small sections. Remember that VT shows all tips in portions of 10.

A) From Central Station to Schreierstoren to meet up with the group (tips 1-7)
B) From Schreierstoren to Scheepvaarthuis (tips 8-13)
C) Nemo - IJ-tunnel, (tips 14-21)
D) Old ships (tips 22-26)
E) From Prins Hendrikkade to Nieuw Markt (tips 27-31)
F) Waaggebouw, Nieuw Markt, market (tips 32-38)
G) Oudemanshuispoort, historical figures Vossius and Barlaeus, book stalls (tips 39-44)
H) Kloveniersburgwal, Zuiderkerk tower, porch (tips 45-47)
I) Staalstraat towards Waterlooplein (tips 48-51)
J) Waterlooplein, Moses & Aaron church, Stopera (tips 52-56)
K) Rembrandtplein, stop for drinks, Regulierbreestraat, Theater Tuschinski (tips 57-62)
L) Rokin, the Dam, dinner and incident on Central Station (tips 63-70)

VT MEETING 22 FEBR. 2003

It was icy cold but sunny when we met up in Amsterdam for my fourth VT meeting in 10 months.
I never evey imagined spending so much time with VT-ers but here you are. It was fun again and great to see some people during daytime instead of in chat in the dead of night!

• Pros:Will always attract with its charm and history.
  • Cons:And yet a tourist trap. Go explore more of The Netherlands!
  • In a nutshell:Many Dutch people feel like tourists in Amsterdam
  • Last visit to Amsterdam: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2008

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Thank you for made very nice Amsterdam page, i found it very helpful with good pictures.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Hello, Anke-Thea! ~ Thanks for another splendid page from you!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Hiya Anke :o) Enjoyed sharing wih you your vt meet around Amsterdam. Saved a few tips too :o) Thanks for the bd wishes matey. Hopefully meet you next year in Amsterdam or Paris!! Hugs xx

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Fietsen worden verwijderd. OK, I'll have to remember that and be careful not to park my bicycle under one of those signs.

• Dec 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM

You think BazarAmsterdam was a protestant church.I was there this summer:In my opinion the architecture is of a Jewish synagogue with balcony for the woman.On one wall there is also Hebrew writing.

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Hi AT, That looks like a car I had in the early 60's. It was the worst piece of junk I ever had, and I didn't have it long. Except for those seats; they just kind of enveloped you. Nice pages.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Hoeze www.de-engel.net bij jouw Bazar restaurant tip? PJ

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Such a long time since I was in Amsterdam - the city walk with a local sounds an ideal way to get to know the city all over again.

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Well I can certainly see that having visited for 5 days I still missed a great deal. I must return!!!

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2008 at 5:57 AM

looks like a great VT meeting and walk round the city! fab page

ATLC Visits Here Frequently!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

• 1,383 Forum posts

Have you been to Amsterdam?