"The bell museum at Asten" Asten by ATLC
Asten Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
A bit of history
The NCM Foundation was established in 1968. Every year it receives 75.000 visitors. Aims are: preservation, restoration and exhibition of bells, carillons, clocks, chiming mechanisms, etc. from the past and present.
Bells from all over the world
China, Indonesia, Near East, Far East, Columbia, Sahara, Europe.
Ringing bells and swinging bells.
Swinging bells are rung by pulling a rope. The bell swings and the hammer swings also and hits the bell.
Ringing bells are bells where the clapper hits the bell without the bell moving.
Bells were rung all over Europe to call people to church, to ring curfew, signal the time, warn for fires and disasters and at events like markets, religious holidays etc.
I played the carillon here at the museum. It was my first time and it was surprisingly easy! Of course it was only a... more travel advice
ATLC's Related Pages
Asten Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Asten
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Asten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asten
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 291 reviews, 424 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 62 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues