"Brielle: Libertatis Primitiae" Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle by ATLC

Brielle Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 354 photos

History comes alive in Brielle

Many people have never heard of Brielle, one of those off-the-beaten-path treasures of The Netherlands.

I've lived here for 20 years now, right in the historical center of town.

Brielle lies on the island Voorne though when you're driving, you wouldn't notice it is an island, due to the bridges and tunnels in a fast connection (motorway) with Rotterdam, which is only a 20-minute drive away.

History is an important part of Brielle. It comes alive on many local occassions.
More on this on my April 1st travelogue and in Local Customs Tips.

News: June 2007: According to recent research by weekmagazine Elsevier, Brielle is 23rd on the list of Dutch towns where the living is good. The list, with 50 top places, scored highest on housing, schools, tourism and recreation, safety, medical care, recreation and the average income of the population.

Note On February 16th 2003, I added some 30-odd tips in Must See Activities. They comprise a town walk on which I have already taken many foreign visitors.

On Voorne there are other villages and towns to visit:

Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Hellevoetsluis, Zwartewaal, Heenvliet, Geervliet, Spijkenisse. Enjoy them!

FIRE

On April 23rd 2005, in the night, the roof and apartments above our candystore were burned down. You see it on the right of the photo. The building next to it (the grey roof) was burned down too. The fashion shop below was emptied and closed. The smaller red roof on the left is my house. We have major water damage in our toyshop on the ground floor and also in my house on the first floor and attic.
More photos in the Packing Tips

Europoort

Behind Brielle you will see the Europoort industry. Two extremes.
The town existed from the Middle Ages and was a major town then. The port was the largest in the area until it slibbed close and nearby Hellevoetsluis took over.
After that, tiny village Rotterdam grew to be the largest port in the world.

Today 5000 people live within the old fortified town Hundreds of years ago also some 5000 people lived there too.
These days there are a total of 16.000 inhabitants of Brielle (inside and outside the city walls).

An impression of Brielle on Youtube, click here

• Pros:Medieval, fortified town, historical, nightlife, restaurant, 400 buildings listed as monument
  • Cons:none!
  • In a nutshell:Libertatis Primitiae
  • Last visit to Brielle: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2008

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2013 at 5:59 AM

What a lovely and interesting town. Great tips and photos. Irene

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Now how come I missed this place I wonder? I love the Netherlands and on my next visit I will make sure that I visit Brielle. ;- )

• May 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Used to drink here in 1970, went back in 1997ish and the landlord took me upstairs to see the bar had been mothballed and had not changed at all in all that time. He even called up an old freind who he was still in touch with and we had a great reunion

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Hi and Happy Birthday AnkeThea for when you are back online again - havent seen you for a while and thinking about you - take care and hope you had a great day yesterday for a special person x

• Mique's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Enne, we zijn er weer hoor. Net als de hollandse haring ;-) Ben al een paar keer langs de shop gelopen... Wanneer doen we een bakkie? We zijn voorlopig nog wel hier

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Great page and great memories. I hope you are well. Ulrike

• May 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM

This has to be one of the prettiest places I saw while I was there.

• hdv63's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Well, like your Brielle poics too. So many..... but you live there

• zizu's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Very nice town. Wa passed pn bike last august, and it was extremely cold!

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM

Am going to visit! Love your gable stones. One of my favorites when travelling. So sorry about the fire. Hope that most of the damage was repairable! Looking forward to pictures of this year's masquerade!

ATLC Used To Live Here!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Brielle

Have you been to Brielle?

Latest Activity in Brielle