"Brielle: Libertatis Primitiae" Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle by ATLC
Brielle Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 354 photos
Many people have never heard of Brielle, one of those off-the-beaten-path treasures of The Netherlands.
I've lived here for 20 years now, right in the historical center of town.
Brielle lies on the island Voorne though when you're driving, you wouldn't notice it is an island, due to the bridges and tunnels in a fast connection (motorway) with Rotterdam, which is only a 20-minute drive away.
History is an important part of Brielle. It comes alive on many local occassions.
More on this on my April 1st travelogue and in Local Customs Tips.
News: June 2007: According to recent research by weekmagazine Elsevier, Brielle is 23rd on the list of Dutch towns where the living is good. The list, with 50 top places, scored highest on housing, schools, tourism and recreation, safety, medical care, recreation and the average income of the population.
Note On February 16th 2003, I added some 30-odd tips in Must See Activities. They comprise a town walk on which I have already taken many foreign visitors.
On Voorne there are other villages and towns to visit:
Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Hellevoetsluis, Zwartewaal, Heenvliet, Geervliet, Spijkenisse. Enjoy them!
On April 23rd 2005, in the night, the roof and apartments above our candystore were burned down. You see it on the right of the photo. The building next to it (the grey roof) was burned down too. The fashion shop below was emptied and closed. The smaller red roof on the left is my house. We have major water damage in our toyshop on the ground floor and also in my house on the first floor and attic.
More photos in the Packing Tips
Behind Brielle you will see the Europoort industry. Two extremes.
The town existed from the Middle Ages and was a major town then. The port was the largest in the area until it slibbed close and nearby Hellevoetsluis took over.
After that, tiny village Rotterdam grew to be the largest port in the world.
Today 5000 people live within the old fortified town Hundreds of years ago also some 5000 people lived there too.
These days there are a total of 16.000 inhabitants of Brielle (inside and outside the city walls).
An impression of Brielle on Youtube, click here
- Pros:Medieval, fortified town, historical, nightlife, restaurant, 400 buildings listed as monument
- In a nutshell:Libertatis Primitiae
The Brielle Bell Ringers Guild is a very active club. They ring the bells in the St. Catharijne church, maintain, give... more travel advice
There've been quite a few VT members that came to visit me at home. Click the links to read what they had to say about... more travel advice
- See All The martyrs of Gorcum
- See All Yet another pub in Brielle
- See All Bastion hotel
- See All Jim de Kok (Jim, the Cook)
- See All How to get to Brielle by public...
ATLC's Related Pages
Brielle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brielle: Libertatis Primitiae"
- "Arrival of Baton East in Brielle September 2005"
- "A day out in Brielle"
- "April 1st 2002"
- "Brielle and Voorne"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brielle
- Hotels in Brielle
- Transportation in Brielle
- Nightlife in Brielle
- Restaurants in Brielle
- Shopping in Brielle
- Warnings and Dangers in Brielle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brielle
- 126 Reviews
- 189 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 93 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (123)
Have you been to Brielle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brielle
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: A Walk Around de Pijp"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Brielle tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "International Women's Day"
- Wrote a Review Bell ringing joys in Brielle Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Brielle
- updated a Brielle Travel Page "Brielle: Libertatis Primitiae"
Videos in BrielleSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues