"A colony of the poor from the 1800s" Frederiksoord by ATLC
Frederiksoord Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 35 photos
Frederiksoord is in the province Drenthe.
Kallenkote is only about 3 kms from here, but in another province: Overrijssel. I'm adding the link here, because otherwise you might miss this little hamlet with a delightful Indonesian bird/animal park Taman Indonesia!
If you choose Frederiksoord as a base for your weekend out, there is so much to do in the neighbourhood, without once visiting a big city. The Miramar Marine museum in Vledder for instance. Or the museum of false art, also in Vledder. The gardens of Frederiksoord where you can be inspired to garden. The Indonesian toko (shop) for food and arts and crafts, just down the road from the Koloniehof. You can go ballooning with IkeAir. Visit lovely villages and small towns like Steenwijk, Dwingeloo, Diever and Noordwolde where they specialise in braiding reeds.
Personally I loved the Indonesian bird garden at Kallenkote (see link above).
There are quite a few places around Meppel (main town in the area) that are worth visiting. However, Meppel is on the brink of two provinces, so you would not be able to detect that if you look at my Travel Page.
You could easily cycle between these places. It's a lovely rural area.
So here goes:
Kolderveen (very rural, dairy farm icecream)
Steenwijk (small town, Unesco heritage site)
Giethoorn (Venice of the north)
Staphorst (beautiful old farms)
Ruinerwold(stone's throw from Meppel)
Kallenkote (Indonesian bird park)
Frederiksoord(colony of welfare)
Vledder(small village, museum of fake art)
Zwolle (largest town in the area)
Meppel (lively nightlife, shopping, printing museum)
Schiphorst (stately home as exclusive hotel/restaurant, stork farm)
Right next to the Koloniehof museum is a quilt shop. Now I know that quilting is a huge thing in many countries and... more travel advice
The rules within the Colony were quite strict. Many were analfabetic and had to go to school. Each family got an alotted... more travel advice
ATLC's Related Pages
Frederiksoord Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Frederiksoord
- Hotels in Frederiksoord
- Restaurants in Frederiksoord
- Shopping in Frederiksoord
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frederiksoord
- 9 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Frederiksoord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frederiksoord
Photos in FrederiksoordSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues