"An unusual natural environment" Top 5 Page for this destination Giethoorn by ATLC
Giethoorn Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 181 photos
When I was 17 I spent a group vacation week here in Giethoorn. We went out onto the Wieden (Beulaker) daily with the 'punters' ,a narrow open boat that is moved along like the gondola's in Venice.
There are quite a few places around Meppel (main town in the area) that are worth visiting. However, Meppel is on the brink of two provinces, so you would not be able to detect that if you look at my Travel Page.
You could easily cycle between these places. It's a lovely rural area.
So here goes:
Kolderveen (very rural, dairy farm icecream)
Steenwijk (small town, Unesco heritage site)
Giethoorn (Venice of the north)
Staphorst (beautiful old farms)
Ruinerwold(stone's throw from Meppel)
Kallenkote (Indonesian bird park)
Frederiksoord(colony of welfare)
Vledder(small village, museum of fake art)
Zwolle (largest town in the area)
Meppel (lively nightlife, shopping, printing museum)
Schiphorst (stately home as exclusive hotel/restaurant, stork farm)
I have not stayed at any of these B&B's but I thought a list would be useful. I always stay with a friend in Meppel,... more travel advice
Unfortunately the Tourist Information website is only in Dutch and German. They do have an office in... more travel advice
ATLC's Related Pages
Giethoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An unusual natural environment"
- "Giethoorn - Venice of the North"
- "Giethoorn, a village along the waters"
- "Dutch Venice or Venice of the north"
- "Giethoorn, watervillage"
- "GIETHOORN - PROVINCIE OVERIJSSEL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Giethoorn
- Hotels in Giethoorn
- Transportation in Giethoorn
- Restaurants in Giethoorn
- Shopping in Giethoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Giethoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Giethoorn
- 9 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (248)
Have you been to Giethoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Giethoorn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues