"Gouda" Top 5 Page for this destination Gouda by ATLC

Gouda Travel Guide: 182 reviews and 453 photos

St. Jan and stained glass

It's a nice place to spend a day. And visit St. Jan's with its incredible, world's largest, collection of 16th century stained glass and stained glass depicting many era in history.
But now, around Christmas time 2005, there is a huge Christmas tree erected in front of the Town Hall which itself is decorated by a lights artist. Clever eh?

Cheeseless city

Believe it or not: but there is no cheese made in Gouda anymore. Anything you see here about cheese (the weighhouse for example) is just for historical reasons.

In fact, Gouda is not really wellknown as a kind of cheese in The Netherlands. Nor Edam. That's just so in other countries (even in Madagascar where they call Gouda: Goodygoody).

We just refer to it as Young (Jong), Young Matured (JOng Belegen), Matured (Belegen) and Old (Oud)..
Then there's the Boerenkaas (Farmer's cheese), which have the same qualifications except it is made of raw milk.

Visiting with a TV crew from Wales

On Friday 18th April 2003, I was invited to join a TV crew from Wales to film in Gouda.
I even had to assist sometimes as sound man and became attached to the furry microphone :-)
To walk around a familiar town with a cameraman, a presenter, a producer and assistant was really a terrific experience. We had great fun and quite a few adventures, including broken in cars and stolen equipment.

NB All pictures made by ATLC unless stated otherwise.

• Pros:Very centrally located, lots to do and see.
  • Last visit to Gouda: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 21, 2005

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Great comments on Gouda. Lovely photos of St. Jan. I love Gouda cheese. Visited Gouda by train from Amsterdam and enjoyed the town, cheese, and beer. How do you say "Gouda" phonetically. ;-)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Leaving for Netherlands next Wednesday 10th June will be staying in Utrecht. Cannot wait. Is Brielle far from Utrecht? Wanna meet for coffee perhaps?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Atunning main page pics of a place I love to visit - will be back to look at your page and tips properly!

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Gouda was a wonderful surprise for me. I did enjoyed my visit, but too bad I didn't know about your page before going. Congratulations!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 5:32 AM

Great page to show that there is much more to Gouda than cheese. Thanks :-)

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2004 at 5:22 AM

Nicely done "Gouda",..Great tips and pics. Regards.

• billus's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 5:21 PM

I do believe SOMEBODY has a digital camera. Looks great nice and rfurbished here since my last bezoek

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2003 at 3:01 PM

Hi AnkeThea, I am amazed to find this Wales TV-item here. They also came to me, but after a few mails I didn't hear of them anymore. Great job done, pitty I couldn't deliver the Eastern part for them! Groetjes, Paul

• George_Arba's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2003 at 10:50 PM

Great Gouda pages, with great pictures and great information! The town hall building has a unique shape and the church is magnificent. The typical customs of this town are also remarkable. I especially like the Gouda St. Catherine’s hospice picture

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2003 at 5:41 PM

your research on 52 degrees must have earned you another degree in Travel knowledge ;-)))

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Gouda