"Gouda" Top 5 Page for this destination Gouda by ATLC
Gouda Travel Guide: 190 reviews and 465 photos
It's a nice place to spend a day. And visit St. Jan's with its incredible, world's largest, collection of 16th century stained glass and stained glass depicting many era in history.
But now, around Christmas time 2005, there is a huge Christmas tree erected in front of the Town Hall which itself is decorated by a lights artist. Clever eh?
Believe it or not: but there is no cheese made in Gouda anymore. Anything you see here about cheese (the weighhouse for example) is just for historical reasons.
In fact, Gouda is not really wellknown as a kind of cheese in The Netherlands. Nor Edam. That's just so in other countries (even in Madagascar where they call Gouda: Goodygoody).
We just refer to it as Young (Jong), Young Matured (JOng Belegen), Matured (Belegen) and Old (Oud)..
Then there's the Boerenkaas (Farmer's cheese), which have the same qualifications except it is made of raw milk.
On Friday 18th April 2003, I was invited to join a TV crew from Wales to film in Gouda.
I even had to assist sometimes as sound man and became attached to the furry microphone :-)
To walk around a familiar town with a cameraman, a presenter, a producer and assistant was really a terrific experience. We had great fun and quite a few adventures, including broken in cars and stolen equipment.
NB All pictures made by ATLC unless stated otherwise.
- Pros:Very centrally located, lots to do and see.
In many old churches in The Netherlands you will find a board with past vicars or priests. These lists can span... more travel advice
Count Floris V. The scene depicts the fact that he gave Gouda city rights in 1272 allowing it to make its own judicial... more travel advice
- See All St. Catharina Gasthuis again
- See All Ringing bells
- Train station
ATLC's Related Pages
Gouda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gouda - Lovely Dutch city!"
- "A trip to Gouda"
- "Say Cheeeeese"
- "close by for a day out"
- "Home of cheese"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gouda
- Hotels in Gouda
- Transportation in Gouda
- Restaurants in Gouda
- Shopping in Gouda
- Warnings and Dangers in Gouda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gouda
- 48 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 61 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (246)
Have you been to Gouda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gouda
Photos in GoudaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues