"Welcome to my new home town, old fortified harbour" Hellevoetsluis by ATLC

Hellevoetsluis Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 71 photos

Frigate Shtandart in Hellevoetsluis, Sept. 2010

This is an exact copy of the ship that Tsar Peter The Great of Russia (who had a great connection to The Netherlands) built.
It's an educational project. But what's more: it is a mighty sight in the very old harbour of Hellevoetsluis.

Lots of sailing here

Hellevoetsluis has grown to a 60.000 inhabitants. It's an old fortified city and has a historical dock called Jan Blanken.

Hellevoetsluis is located on Voorne-Putten, a region just west of Rotterdam.

On Voorne there are other villages and towns to visit:

Oostvoorne
Rockanje
Zwartewaal
Heenvliet
Geervliet
Spijkenisse
Brielle, my former hometown of 22 years

I have built pages about them too. Please visit them!

What, so few photos?

<b>Please note</b> I am writing plenty of tips here but there are quite a few photos to be found or made and then uploaded. Just think of Alice in Wonderland who grumbled to her sister that her book had no pictures. She proceeded to have one of the most adventurous trips ever written!

• Pros:Great for nautic activities and historically interesting
  • Cons:A bit off-the-beaten path
  • In a nutshell:Attractive little town in rural and marine area.
  • Last visit to Hellevoetsluis: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated May 10, 2013

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

This looks like a mighty fine hometown. I like the naval ambience and the remains of the fortified old town. The restaurants look inviting. Can it be dining out tends to be a bit more expensive in the Netherlands than in Germany?

• ATLC's Profile Photo
      Jun 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Absolutely, Ingo. I find Germany significantly cheaper in a lot of things. Eating out and real estate to name just 2 things.

• coconutSmoothie's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hi Anke, lovely little place your new home town. I like the central harbour.
    I love foods but I never thought of writing about foods. That's why you don't see any in Breda. Maybe I should next time.
    I'll try. To be honest, I came back to VT because of VT meets in Antwerpen Dannie organized. The one that I wanted to go is the VT meets in Amsterdam this Sep. Anyway, nice knowing you ... virtually -:)))))
    Loong

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Happy birthday in advance!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Your home town looks wonderful and to see such a beautiful Frigate Shtandart in Hellevoetsluis must have been fastic. I enjoyed the tour!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Not sure how to say it but I like your new home town and that super main picture. I'll be back for a proper tour. Off to see if I have any root vegeatables left to photo!:))

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Great Intro page photo of the Galleon. Wow! Wish we had a few around to sail today.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

not yet there in person yet. But i managed the virtual visit ;-)))

• catnl's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Hellevoetsluis als nieuwe woonplaats, mooie foto had je gestuurd:-) hopelijk alles goed met je groetjes carin

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Thank you for dropping by my tiny VA page. I've built a few little pages lately, to stay in practice. I like this little page of yours. I wish I could see those sea walls some day.

• Oct 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM

this restaurant does not exist any more.In the old part of hellevoetsluis there is a new one named"de Buuren"You must try it. Great atmosphere,the food exelent,and the price f.e. a main course for about euro 12,50

ATLC Lives Here!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Hellevoetsluis

Have you been to Hellevoetsluis?

Latest Activity in Hellevoetsluis