Keukenhof Favorite Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Keukenhof Favorites: 29 reviews and 43 photos
Favorite thing: In the Sports tips you find a book recommendation about the mania that surrounded tulips in the 17th century.
The Semper Augustus tulip bulb was sold for 6000 guilders, which in the 17th century was the same price as a Amsterdam town mansion.
Google for Tulipmania and you'll find plenty of information about this baffling historical period.
Fondest memory: Pieter de Hondt, a poet from Leiden wrote in 1621 :
Dat men in Nederland,
Sooveel sotten bij der hant
Vinden can, die in haer hoven
Deze bloem alleene loven
Om een weke, drye, of vier,
In haer hof gheen enckel sier,
Dan de tulpen aen te schouwen,
Om de tulpen maer alleen;
Sotten die haer hoven bouwen,
Voor één bloeme en anders gheen
That one in Holland
so many fools at hand
can find, who in their courts
only this flower praise.
For three or four weeks
no other than tulips
do their garden grace.
For the tulips but only, the fools bother
to build their courts, for this one flower
and none other.
Favorite thing: Keukenhof attracts about a million visitors each year, in those mere 6 or 7 weeks of the year that it is open to the public. They stroll along 15 kms of footpath on 32 hectares and shows about 100 tulip varieties and many other flowers. It is easily one of the most photographed places on earth! It's also the largest sculpture park in The Netherlands and 93 bulb growers participate in what is on show.
Fondest memory: The most amazing colours. Some flowers almost look surreal, or even fake. The red tulips on the photo in this tip seem to be of silk or even plastic, given their shine. But they're real.
How about the upside down tulip?! They came in yellow and orange varieties.
Do enjoy the 5 photos in this tip!
Keukenhof accessible for wheelchairs
Favorite thing: The Keukenhof is very popular with older people, and you'll see many people in wheelchairs being pushed around by their friends and family.
Most of the terrain is flat, and the pavilions are all easily accessible. There are toilets for disabled people as well.
Fondest memory: As I've pushed wheelchairs before, I can appreciate the dedication of those that do. We sneaked a photo of a man lying on one of the gigantic cushions, wheelchair by his side, enjoying the sun...
First sight inside Keukenhof
Favorite thing: If you can, buy your ticket in advance at the Keukenhof website. It saves you standing in lines at the cashiers, you can walk straight on to a special entrance for E-tickets.
If you're coming by car, also buy your parking ticket online.
The website is in various languages, full versions.
Fondest memory: Walking past the lines, straight to the entrance!
More Reviews (30)
- See All Hop on Hop off tulip fields tour
- Niet parkeren !!! (don't park!!!)
- See All Castle Keukenhof
- Book recommendation: Tulip Fever
- See All Flower bulbs and bouquets
- See All Coming to Keukenhof by bicycle
ATLC's Related Pages
Keukenhof Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A sunny trip to Keukenhof"
- "A very colourful garden"
- "World of flowers/plants"
- "A trip to the famous Keukenhof"
- "World famous flower garden"
- "Keukenhof - The most colourful spring of your life"
- "Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Me"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Keukenhof
- Hotels in Keukenhof
- Transportation in Keukenhof
- Restaurants in Keukenhof
- Shopping in Keukenhof
- Warnings and Dangers in Keukenhof
- See All...
Explore the World
- Egham Hotels
- Tucson Hotels
- Dassel Hotels
- La Maddalena Island
- San Juan del Norte Hotels
Badges & Stats in Keukenhof
- 34 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (132)
Have you been to Keukenhof?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keukenhof
- Posted in Travel Toulon Forum "Re: Good Shore Excursions in..."
- Wrote a Review Hop on Hop off tulip fields tour in Keukenhof Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Niet parkeren !!! (don't park!!!)"
- updated a Keukenhof Travel Page "A sunny trip to Keukenhof"
- Commented on one of irisbe's Keukenhof travel pages
Photos in KeukenhofSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 291 reviews, 424 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 62 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues