"Rembrandt, Boerhaave, Pelgrim Fathers, University" Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden by ATLC
Leiden Travel Guide: 610 reviews and 1,422 photos
This city was once the home of a group of Pilgrim Fathers.
The photo (made by H. Jonker on July 24th 1891) shows the unveiling of a remembrance plaque on the Pieterskerk in Leiden.
Between 1609-1620 a group of English, who had fled their country because of their religion, lived in Leiden.
In the American history they are known as the Pilgrim Fathers.
The plaque commemorates John Robinson who lived on the site of the later built Jean Pesijnshof until his death in 1625.
The English church lived in quiet existance in Leiden until it was dissolved in 1807.
Also German and Scandinavian students ended up in Leiden, drawn by the first "free university".
Click for website about this topic
(thanks to djoatlarge for the link)
I lived in Leiden from 1970-1972 and in 1982-1983. My daughter was born there. All these things make Leiden a special place for me. There are loads of memories from when I was a child and young adult. So a visit to Leiden is for me always a feast of recognition.
There is still some info here that belongs to my hometown page Brielle
It will be moved soon and replaced with Leiden info.
Let me relive childhood memories! In Leiden, you can go to Pannenkoekhuis Schaapsbel for poffertjes (tiny pancakes... more travel advice
You can do a boat tour in Leiden along the many canals to see the highlights from the water. Take care: the last boat... more travel advice
ATLC's Related Pages
Leiden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rembrandt, Boerhaave, Pelgrim Fathers, University"
- "Leiden, where Rembrandt was born in 1606"
- "I Love Leiden"
- "Leiden a city with a history"
- "A Rainy Morning Wander"
- "The key to ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leiden
- Hotels in Leiden
- Transportation in Leiden
- Nightlife in Leiden
- Restaurants in Leiden
- Shopping in Leiden
- Warnings and Dangers in Leiden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leiden
- 63 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 63 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (250)
Have you been to Leiden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leiden
- Posted in Travel Oudenaarde Forum "Monday 9 June and restaurant tip"
- Wrote a Review Convenient parking and free shuttle bus in Leiden Transportation
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Leiden tips
- updated a Leiden Travel Page "Rembrandt, Boerhaave, Pelgrim Fathers, University"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Writings on the wall - Bernlef"
Photos in LeidenSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues