Middelburg Warnings Or Dangers Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination

Middelburg Warnings and Dangers: 6 reviews and 2 photos

Finding the tourist office

First thing you do when visiting somewhere is often to find the tourist office. So we followed the green signs (see previous tip photo) but they proved not to be adequate and so we didn't find the tourist office after much searching.

Tip: go to the market square. if you stand on it, facing the Town Hall opposite you, then turn left. It is right round the corner, sporting a blue flag with an 'i' on it.

Website: http://www.touristshop.nl

• Updated Jul 8, 2005
MIDDELBURG TOURIST SIGN - Middelburg

MIDDELBURG TOURIST SIGN

To tourist or not to tourist

Usually I visit Middelburg because I have to be there (or in the neighbourhood). This time (March 21st 2003) my friend and I went especialy to visit Middelburg.

We were very disappointed to find that literally everything worth visiting in town was closed from November 1st to April 1st. We were just 10 days early.

Miniature Walcheren was closed.
-The abbey was closed.
-The Zeeuws Museum (Zeeland Museum) will not open until 2005 (although it says 2004 on the door when we got there!).
-The Historama (sound and light show about Zeeland life) does not exist anymore.
-The Town Hall only has guided tours on Saturday and Sunday for one hour.
-The abbey tower "Lange Jan" is also closed until April.
etc.

Of course it is logical that many (guided) tours, boat tours and some objects are not available in winter.
But this means that for the tourist visiting out of season there is not much to do from November to April.
I already noted many German tourists and I think it is a missed chance for Middelburg.

• Updated Mar 25, 2003
MIDDELBURG - Middelburg

MIDDELBURG

If you have to go you have to go

I found this toilet sign in the abbey. "Buiten gebruik" means "out of use".
But as "buiten" also means "outside", I wonder: do they mean "out of use" or "use outside"?
Hehehe.

• Written Mar 23, 2003
Parking in Middelburg

As we came into Middelburg from another side (not the usual entry from the N57), we found it difficult to find parking areas.

So we parked in the street where parking is for 2 hours maximum. This is too short for a visit so note that you do park your car in a parking area.
You need cash money or (Dutch) chipcard for a parking ticket machine.

On the street parking was € 0,90 per 60 minutes.

• Written Mar 23, 2003

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Middelburg

Have you been to Middelburg?

Latest Activity in Middelburg