Middelburg Warnings Or Dangers Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Middelburg Warnings and Dangers: 6 reviews and 2 photos
First thing you do when visiting somewhere is often to find the tourist office. So we followed the green signs (see previous tip photo) but they proved not to be adequate and so we didn't find the tourist office after much searching.
Tip: go to the market square. if you stand on it, facing the Town Hall opposite you, then turn left. It is right round the corner, sporting a blue flag with an 'i' on it.
MIDDELBURG TOURIST SIGN
Usually I visit Middelburg because I have to be there (or in the neighbourhood). This time (March 21st 2003) my friend and I went especialy to visit Middelburg.
We were very disappointed to find that literally everything worth visiting in town was closed from November 1st to April 1st. We were just 10 days early.
Miniature Walcheren was closed.
-The abbey was closed.
-The Zeeuws Museum (Zeeland Museum) will not open until 2005 (although it says 2004 on the door when we got there!).
-The Historama (sound and light show about Zeeland life) does not exist anymore.
-The Town Hall only has guided tours on Saturday and Sunday for one hour.
-The abbey tower "Lange Jan" is also closed until April.
Of course it is logical that many (guided) tours, boat tours and some objects are not available in winter.
But this means that for the tourist visiting out of season there is not much to do from November to April.
I already noted many German tourists and I think it is a missed chance for Middelburg.
I found this toilet sign in the abbey. "Buiten gebruik" means "out of use".
But as "buiten" also means "outside", I wonder: do they mean "out of use" or "use outside"?
As we came into Middelburg from another side (not the usual entry from the N57), we found it difficult to find parking areas.
So we parked in the street where parking is for 2 hours maximum. This is too short for a visit so note that you do park your car in a parking area.
You need cash money or (Dutch) chipcard for a parking ticket machine.
On the street parking was € 0,90 per 60 minutes.
More Reviews (45)
- See All Traditional bakery
- See All Hotel De Nieuwe Doelen
- See All Hotel Nieuwe Doelen
- See All Old map
- Small change
ATLC's Related Pages
Middelburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "28th ( 29th) AUGUST 2004 MIDDELBURG MEETING !!"
- "Middelburg in various seasons"
- "Middelburg, a quiet city"
- "Middelburg: Go there before you die!"
- "The wonderful town of Middelburg."
- "Middelburg by bicycle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Middelburg
- Hotels in Middelburg
- Transportation in Middelburg
- Nightlife in Middelburg
- Restaurants in Middelburg
- Shopping in Middelburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Middelburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Middelburg
- 49 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (250)
Have you been to Middelburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Middelburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues