"Oosterbeek" Top 5 Page for this destination Oosterbeek by ATLC

Oosterbeek Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 93 photos

Childhood memories

Oosterbeek is where I lived during my high school years.

It's a beautiful village, situated along the Rhine, in the east of The Netherlands, just west of Arnhem.

Woods, heather, cycle and walking paths abound here.

Oosterbeek thanks its many large villa's to the people that were colonials in Indonesia and came to live here when they retired.
To this day, many people choose Oosterbeek to live their senior years.

Oosterbeek also played a significant part in WWII, during the battle of Arnhem.

The photo is a view of my house, hidden among the trees. The path leads down to the river Rhine.
The tips are not sufficient yet. I am working on it!

Our house

Was built in 1911 by an architect who lived there himself. It was a house full of little surprises. Five chimneys, little round windows at the back, a big hallway and staircase, an old oak beam from a ship in the living room, old tiling in toilet and kitchen and wall-sculptures over the front door and at the back of the fireplace.

The side building was not there when I lived there.

When we did move in, the dusty, cobwebbed cellar was filled with preserved fruits in alcohol. Made maybe 20-30 years before. It was still delicious!

• Last visit to Oosterbeek: Jun 2001
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2003

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 10:16 AM

Yes, I do agree with Kentbein..more please? Regards.

• Kentbein's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 2:33 PM

Please let me know if you ever update and/or add to the Oosterbeek page. I'd love to see what you have to say about your old hometown.

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Oosterbeek

Have you been to Oosterbeek?

Latest Activity in Oosterbeek