"Museum village" Orvelte by ATLC

Orvelte Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 71 photos

Congratulations!, you found your way to this lone page about Orvelte. Definitely worth a visit.

Orvelte is a little village in the north of the Netherlands, province Drenthe, just north east of Westerbork. When you visit you'll find many authentic farms but also art galleries and oldfashioned shops. Walking around is like being back several decennia in time.

How to find everything

You might wonder where you'll find all the locations mentioned in the tips. Well, not everything has an address but you can find a map on www.orvelte.net. Additionally I should say that everything is walkable very easily and close so you don't really miss anything.

Peat

Peat is what the province Drenthe is known for. Huge piles in Orvelte. It is a normal village where people live their country life. You can enter for free but if you want to visit the little museums or other features then you can by a combination ticket for € 6,50. Shops are free entry.

• Pros:Everything is walkable
  • Cons:Can't think of any
  • In a nutshell:www.orvelte.net
  • Last visit to Orvelte: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2008

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2009 at 9:56 AM

hi if I never get back to see any more of these little offbeaten places in person at least Ive had a good tour from your pages! Happy New year 2009 A-T.

• Jul 5, 2005 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for this fabulous small town insight Anke-Thea! Especially loved that 'Otten Shoes' tip :-))

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 3:25 PM

Very lovely countryside style page! Great shots of food. I have never eaten black pudding :-(.

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 11:21 AM

Obviously, an ATLC page.. it has the local custom tips concerning foods. ;-) Interesting page in many ways. I love to know typical countryside customs. I didn't know barns could be so cute. So that is orvelte. Thanks for the work.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2004 at 7:23 AM

Oh the poor pig. Spreaeagled on a ladder and sawed to bits. I suppose the cows lick themslves and get their hair in their stomachs. And they lick their calves a lot. Huge hair balls though! Really interesting page.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2004 at 9:37 AM

What a picturesque place. Your vivid descriptions seem to capture the eccense of Orvelte. Lots of fascinating information. I really enjoyed learning about the "Farmer's Golf"! Your enthusiasm is contagious!

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2004 at 4:18 AM

This is very interesting I remember in ST Fagans (UK) something similar. I will add to my list ;-)

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 11:13 AM

I loved the pics of the farm interior - looks so nice. And of course, food looks yummy (although I'm sure I'd prefer cheese over that black pudding ;) Thanks for introducing us Orvelte.

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 12:34 PM

Excellent PICS. Love the straw barn! Wow! Cheese museums, and cow hairballs? What exactly IS black pudding??? Thanks, ~Elaine~

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2004 at 10:52 PM

Thanks for sharing this wonderful place with us, it is very captivating. I feel like shifting my base. Regards.

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Orvelte

Have you been to Orvelte?

Latest Activity in Orvelte