"Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !" Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam by ATLC
Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,807 photos
This is my favourite Dutch city. This is purely personal. It isn't the most beautiful but it is vibrant, down-to-earth, and I have worked here since 1990.
On July 21st 2004, the Queen Mary 2 docked for one day in the harbour in central Rotterdam. Which attraced thousands of spectators and threw city traffic into chaos!
Hotel New York (the low, old building on the right) used to be the headquarters of the Holland-America Line. The highrise next to it wasn't even there 10 years ago.
Compared to these buildings you can truly appreciate the size of the ship.
Have a look at my Travelogue return of the cruise ships with photos of some special moments...
Rotterdam holds something special for me. Not only have I worked there since 1990, but I also left Rotterdam on a world trip to New Zealand by boat. But that was about 35 years ago and our actual cruiseship was waiting for us in Southampton (UK). I still remember though, the smell and busy atmosphere of people leaving and saying goodbye. In those days one did rarely return if one emigrated to far away!
My special tours of Rotterdam
For architecture lovers, I've added 24 tips under Off The Beaten Path about the Sonneveld house, built between 1929-1933 which will amaze you with its modern 21st century style. The tour starts here
Newsflash, Sept. 2010 the Reuters website publishes an article: Sonneveld house named no. 3 on top-10 list of World Sexiest Buildings! You can read more about it on the VT forum
New I went on a discovery tour in one of the downtown Rotterdam areas called Afrikaanderwijk. A multicultural area, partly renovated, partly old. It was a free audiotour and you learn a lot about urban living, many cultures, typical inner city problems and some nice surprises. The tour (22 tips/about 100 photos) starts here.
EVENTS & FESTIVALS 2013
More Festivals in Rotterdam can be found in my Nightlife tips.
Some tips still need updating but as the dates for 2013 become known, I'll add the info. In the meantime keep yourself updated on Rotterdam Festivals in English.
A spectacular Chinese light park with daily shows under the Euromast. I bet it's a must see and I'll be going too! Check for more info and an advance glimmer:
40th Rotterdam Film Festival 2013
For information click here.
Flying Grass Carpet until 15 September 2008. A temporary city park on the Schouwburgplein. Go picnic, sunbath, frisbee. Enjoy activities every weekend such as street theatre, face painting, circus demonstrations. More info here . Location: Schouwburgplein. How to get there: walk 5 minutes south from Central Station.
Open air classic concert. Weekend of 31/31 August 2012.
The Rotterdam Philharmonic plays on Saturday and the Junior Rotterdam Philharmonic on Sunday. Enjoy it at the most pittoresque harbour in Rotterdam, the Veerhaven And its free! More info. How to get there: Tram: 7, stop Westplein; 8 en 20, stop Vasteland and 23 en 25, stop Leuvehaven. Have fun!
To be honest, I do not even like football. But it is a big thing in our country. So I am also a Feyenoord fan when I have to be. Or Sparta. Both Rotterdam football clubs.
In my Sports travel tip, you'll find the full season of Feyenoord 2007-2008.
PHOTOS: Edgar Davids, Dutch star football player on the building of the Nationale Nederlanden (insurance company world wide) during EURO 2000.
- Pros:Vibrant, hardworking, down-to-earth, spectacular
- Cons:not as quaint as Amsterdam (this is not a con at all!)
- In a nutshell:The best city in The Netherlands
One of my very favourite restaurants in off-center Rotterdam. I can say so after having been there for lunch and dinner... more travel advice
The SS Rotterdam was the largest cruise liner ever built in The Netherlands (1958) and can be counted among the most... more travel advice
- See All Organic butcher
- See All Sightseeing from the air
- See All Kralingen
- See All Brand new! Designer loft apartments
- See All Rotterdam Welcome Card - discounts
ATLC's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 159 Reviews
- 337 Photos
- 180 Forum posts
- 96 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (124)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: A Walk Around de Pijp"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Rotterdam tips
- updated a Rotterdam Travel Page "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- Uploaded a Photo to "VT-ers at the Rolling Stones concert :-)"
- Wrote a Review Meticulously sourced food cooked with love. about Other neighbourhoods in Rotterdam Restaurants
Photos in RotterdamSee All Photos (337)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues