Veere Favorite Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Veere Favorites: 13 reviews and 13 photos
Favorite thing: Note that the Tourist Office (no. 9) is behind the big church. You'll find a photo of it in this tip (2nd photo).
4351 AV Veere
Favorite thing: Couldn't get enough of it :-)
Favorite thing: On a clear day it's the combination of green grass, blue sky and the white of clouds or in this case a windmill that makes a truly Dutch landscape.
I got on my knees to catch all of those colours in this picture.
VEERE CAMPVEERSE TOWER
Favorite thing: This is now a restaurant but was also a tavern in the 16th century when William of Orange brought his bride, the French Charlotte de Bourbon here for the wedding feast.
When our guide told us that 2 years ago I was a little suprised.
William of Orange married Charlotte de Bourbon in Brielle (my hometown). Brielle was then just a little larger and powerful than Veere with 5000 inhabitants within its city walls.
To get to Veere from Brielle, one must travel 70 kilometres. I can hardly imagine that being done in one day then...so I must conclude the wedding went on for several days with A LOT of travelling.
Favorite thing: In summer the harbour is awash with sailing yachts.
In fact, most people that visit Veere do so by boat. The town itself is reachable from Middelburg and via a narrow dyke road from Vrouwenpolder.
VEERE TOWN HALL
Favorite thing: The elegantly slim tower was added to the town hall (here seen from the back) between 1594-95. It adds immensely to the picturesque image of the building and as I mention in Off the Beaten path tips: the carillon (belfry) sounds amazingly clear and light. Very very lovely.
Favorite thing: Beside the town hall is a little street with just a very few houses and big walled gardens.
Friends live in this street but as they weren't home I bought a slade and old fashionedly scribbled a message, had it wrapped and dropped it in their mailbox.
I'm waiting for their phonecall!
Favorite thing: from the "Markt". Left the town hall.
Favorite thing: I don't know what this sculpture is here for. It shows a little boy and girl playing ball.
It's in the middle of the "Markt" (market). Two narrow one way roads with a park in the middle.
VEERE TOWN HALL
Favorite thing: The original statues on the gable are exhibitioned inside the town hall.
More Reviews (28)
- See All Visit the Sweet Shop
- See All Events 2008
- See All Whale bone
- See All Campveerse Toren
ATLC's Related Pages
Veere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another daytrip to the Netherlands"
- "Veere just before the tourist season"
- "Itsy pitsy teenie weenie... beautiful little town!"
- "Zeeland, where water en earth are in constant war"
- "Veere, a lovely village!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veere
- Hotels in Veere
- Transportation in Veere
- Nightlife in Veere
- Restaurants in Veere
- Shopping in Veere
- Warnings and Dangers in Veere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veere
- 41 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (248)
Have you been to Veere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veere
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues