Luxembourg Favorite Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Luxembourg Favorites: 62 reviews and 81 photos
Favorite thing: This must be the famous Count Sigefroi that first started building the fortress in 963. It was only first (and last) captured in 1443!
Favorite thing: Imagine the cannon fire from these casemats. Below is a valley, an enemy could hardly approach unseen from this side.
Favorite thing: The fortress gate was built in 1735. Interestingly, when we entered Luxembourg by car and tried to find the youth hostel, we took a wrong turn and ended up in a tunnel. I now realise that the tunnel went all the way under the ancient quarters of the fortress!
Favorite thing: The wall on which I am standing used to be 7 meters higher than it is now. No wonder the fortress was never taken. Look down and see the car below, then you see how high it already is.
Favorite thing: In 1994 the fortress and ancient quarters have been added to the Unesco World Heritage site.
Favorite thing: The thick fortress walls still contain over 20 kms of walkable casemats which you can visit. You can see the entry when walking on the Montée de Clausen. If you're staying in the city hostel, you'll pass all this every day!
Favorite thing: This whole area is known as 'Grund' (that must translate to Ground').
The long building (under the cranes) in the background used to be a hospital with 3 meter thick walls to protect against cannonball fire. It is nowadays the national archive.
Favorite thing: Who can translate this:
Saecla Decem Replens Legat Vrbs Vestigia Prisca.
LEIDEN WALL POETRY
Favorite thing: The photos of Luxembourg as a fortress city merits some attention of its own. So I put them all in the General Tips. Here you see the city exists well over a 1000 years!
More Reviews (68)
- See All Taxi
- See All 23rd of June, national holiday
- See All Read before you go
- See All I found one!
- See All Jugendstil shop front
- See All Hospice
ATLC's Related Pages
Luxembourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Luxembourg, an amazing fortress city"
- "Luxembourg - Capital of the Grand Duchy"
- "A VERY FUN CITY !"
- "Quietly self-contained......"
- "The jewel among other giants"
- "Luxembourg City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luxembourg
- Hotels in Luxembourg
- Transportation in Luxembourg
- Nightlife in Luxembourg
- Restaurants in Luxembourg
- Shopping in Luxembourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Luxembourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luxembourg
- 77 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (248)
Have you been to Luxembourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luxembourg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Historic City Center- 39 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Cathedral Notre Dame- 31 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Grand Ducal Palace- 24 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Walking around- 35 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Bridges- 16 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Monuments- 14 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Gellen Fra (Golden Lady)- 9 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Churches- 11 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Museums- 18 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Knuedler- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Luxembourg Things to Do