"Vegemite or Marmite" Burton upon Trent by ATLC
Burton upon Trent Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 53 photos
The love and hate for Vegemite and Marmite is a long and often returning heated discussion on VT. Always quite fun!
Now Therese (thedouglas) and Lesley (Purpleshade) both mailed me a tube of Vegemite so I can finally taste the difference for myself and test it out on others.
Both are a concentrated yeast extract, rich in vitamin B. And that certainly is an indication of taste.
yeast extract, salt.
vegetable extract and vitamin B1, B2 and B12, spices and celery extract
barley malt extract, colour and preservatives.
Difference in taste
I find Marmite to be a bit more outspoken in taste. Vegemite has a faint nauseous quality to the taste which I don't like. Probably a bit more yeasty than Marmite.
A Wikipedia search gave me some background info on Marmite, which was or is produced here in Burton upon Trent.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
Because I am from The Netherlands, I was interested to read that Marmite is owned by Unilever, originally a Dutch company but now a British one.
On the Misc Forum I placed the following posting:
Righto! I have here before me Marmite and Vegemite.
Now, I live in a country where Vegemite is not on sale anywhere. Marmite has a small following.
I will taste both and ask 10 of my friends, who do not eat either product on any regular basis, to taste too. Their preference will declare the winner: Vegemite or Marmite. My opinion will only be included if the outcome is 50/50.
So VT... place your bets here!
Rien ne va plus (end of bets) will be Sunday February 4th.*
so if you want to place your bet here, just add a comment at the bottom of this page and it will be counted in*
Is there a prize?
Nope. Unless someone thinks up a good one :-)
ATLC's Related Pages
Burton upon Trent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burton Upon Trent"
- "Weekend in town"
- "The Bell Inn Anslow Nr burton on trent"
- "Vegemite or Marmite"
- "A UK trip for a Euro sheep"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burton upon Trent
- Hotels in Burton upon Trent
- Transportation in Burton upon Trent
- Nightlife in Burton upon Trent
- Restaurants in Burton upon Trent
- Shopping in Burton upon Trent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burton upon Trent
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Burton upon Trent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burton upon Trent
Photos in Burton upon TrentSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (157)
Latest Burton upon Trent hotel reviews
- Three Queens Hotel
- 234 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013