"Vegemite or Marmite" Burton upon Trent by ATLC

Burton upon Trent Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 53 photos

Place your bets here!

The love and hate for Vegemite and Marmite is a long and often returning heated discussion on VT. Always quite fun!

Now Therese (thedouglas) and Lesley (Purpleshade) both mailed me a tube of Vegemite so I can finally taste the difference for myself and test it out on others.

Ingredients
Both are a concentrated yeast extract, rich in vitamin B. And that certainly is an indication of taste.

Both contain:
yeast extract, salt.

Marmite contains
vegetable extract and vitamin B1, B2 and B12, spices and celery extract

Vegemite contains
barley malt extract, colour and preservatives.

Difference in taste
I find Marmite to be a bit more outspoken in taste. Vegemite has a faint nauseous quality to the taste which I don't like. Probably a bit more yeasty than Marmite.

Why here?

A Wikipedia search gave me some background info on Marmite, which was or is produced here in Burton upon Trent.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Because I am from The Netherlands, I was interested to read that Marmite is owned by Unilever, originally a Dutch company but now a British one.

The bet

On the Misc Forum I placed the following posting:

Righto! I have here before me Marmite and Vegemite.

Now, I live in a country where Vegemite is not on sale anywhere. Marmite has a small following.

I will taste both and ask 10 of my friends, who do not eat either product on any regular basis, to taste too. Their preference will declare the winner: Vegemite or Marmite. My opinion will only be included if the outcome is 50/50.

So VT... place your bets here!
Rien ne va plus (end of bets) will be Sunday February 4th.

so if you want to place your bet here, just add a comment at the bottom of this page and it will be counted in

Is there a prize?
Nope. Unless someone thinks up a good one :-)

• Intro Updated Sep 22, 2007

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 1:50 AM

I would guess that the nauseous taste,I don't like,in Vegemite, is the barley malt?Marmite every time:-0Diana

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Burton upon Trent

Have you been to Burton upon Trent?

Latest Activity in Burton upon Trent