Netherlands Off The Beaten Path Tips by ATLC Top 5 Page for this destination
Netherlands Off The Beaten Path: 341 reviews and 539 photos
This huge event will take place 17-21 August 2005.
If you like tall ships and all kinds of other sailing ships and yachts, then this event is a must see!
The event in 2005 will be called The Seven Cities of Sail. This is the programme:
Portsmouth, June 23 – 27 2005
Waterford, July 7 – 10 2005
Cherbourg July 15- 18 2005
Zeebrugge, July 23 – 26 2005
Frederikstad, August 3 – 6 2005
Bremerhaven, August 10 – 14 2005
Amsterdam, August 17 – 21 2005
DRENTHE PREHISTORICAL GRAVE (HUNEBED)
This is a hunebed. Found in the province of Drenthe. People in prehistoric days used to bury their dead like this. Amazing how they made these burial places with the great sidestones, capstones and endstones.
There are 54 of them in The Netherlands, all different in size but mostly in the provinces Drenthe and Groningen (up north!).
For pictures of them all go see the website.
The descriptions, I'm afraid, are in Dutch.
There are countless museums in The Netherlands, spread all over the country.
How about some Off the Beaten Path ones like:
- Dutch Watermuseum
- Museum of the 20th century
- Dutch leather and shoemuseum
SCHOORL BY ANTON PIECK
Anton Pieck is a 20th century master of Dutch landscape and daily life. His images are much loved because they are so sweet to see and capture Dutch life in it's smallest detail so well.
You'll find loads of images via Google.
There's a small museum about Anton Pieck in the small fortified village Hattem.
The address is: Achterstraat 46-48, Hattem.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 038-444 21 92
The small town of Brielle can't be missed. A miniature Amsterdam with among the highest number of monuments per square kilometer in the country.
5 km. from the beach and 25 km. from Rotterdam. Traffic permitting it's a 75 min. drive from Amsterdam.
Lovely shops, many restaurants and pubs.
Plenty of hotels and campings and only 10 min. away from the ferry Hull (UK) - Europoort.
Explore the famous Deltaworks from Brielle. Or enjoy a seaside holiday.
See my Brielle page!
Vineyard in Biert
A vineyard this far north in The Netherlands is rather odd, to say the least.
It's about 10 kms from my hometown Brielle near a rural hamlet called Biert. It's also near Rotterdam. Definitely a road or cycling trip.
So Domain De Vier Ambachten offers you a wide range of wines of which I have yet to taste one. Tasting notes to follow (I'm a bit apprehensive, hahaha!).
The theme this year is: Monuments of the 20th century
During the year most of these monuments are not open to the public but on 8 and 9september 2007 , they will be.
On the photo is my personal monument. For over 10 years I have been dreaming of owning this yellow apartment flat in Rotterdam and what I would do with it. I'd live on the top 2 floors and turn the round bit into a restaurant for private dinners and parties. All the other apartments would be galleries or ateliers for creative people and musicians, I think. It borders on the Museumpark and I simply love it!
Other Contact: All Tourist Offices (VVV)
OCEANIUM AT ROTTERDAM ZOO
Finally I can be under water and still breathe normally. Although I am a bad swimmer and not particularly fond of water, I do love to watch nature movies about the sea. Here is one live and it's really fascinating!
Click here how to get there (English)
First Sunday of August: the inner city of Deventer teems with people as they visit the largest bookmarket in Europe. Secondhands, antique old books, comic strips, collectable books....
The stalls are along streets with a total length of 6 km. Some 125.000 people visited in 2002.
Deventer, IJsselkade en historische binnenstad: Brink, Zandpoort, Polstraat, Melksterstraat, Grote Kerkhof, Nieuwe Markt, Vispoort, Welle, Onder de Linden, Kapjeswelle, Twickelostraat
For information contact the tourist office.
They have a paid tel. number so best idea is to e-mail.
Direct link to information (in Dutch):
The photo (with permission) is from
Other Contact: Tourist Office, Keizerstraat 22,
ELEPHANTS IN EMMEN NOORDERDIERENPARK
Noorderdierenpark (Zoo Emmen) in the province of Drenthe is officially one of the best zoo's in the world. The approach to care of exotic animals is outstanding and sometimes revolutionary. Definitely a must for elephant lovers.
More Reviews (267)
- See All App for public transportation schedules
- See All Dutch breakfast
- See All Pieterpad, long distance walk
- See All Need for private nursing
- See All Group or family accommodation
- See All Heavy traffic
ATLC's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Explore the World
- Democratic Republic of Congo Hotels
- Flatt's Village Hotels
- Sevierville Hotels
- Otok Vir Hotels
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 2,110 Reviews
- 3,196 Photos
- 2,909 Forum posts
- 151 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: a ghost from the past?"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Netherlands tips
- Wrote a Review App for public transportation schedules in Netherlands Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "App for public transportation schedules"
- updated a Netherlands Travel Page "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
Videos in NetherlandsSee All Videos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (157)
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10124 Reviews - 21103 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1264 Reviews - 3249 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1419 Reviews - 3799 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos