"A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!" Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands by ATLC
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,952 reviews and 88,394 photos
Picture starting top left clockwise:
Cheese / Dutch new (raw) herring / Dutch folks / flower field / windmill / my wooden shoes
I dare to call my Netherlands page very practical. It certainly is peculiar in places But it is not a definitive guide, nor will it ever be! I hope it is useful to tourists and natives alike.
This Netherlands page does not stand alone. It is more a portal to all my other VT pages about Dutch towns, cities and villages. You will find much more specific information on various places.
In fact, apart from this Netherlands page, I have well about 900 tips about 150 towns and villages in The Netherlands for you. As well as more than 500 pictures in 50 travelogues. So take your pick!
I hope you enjoy this personal page about everything I love or hate about my country. Feel free to ask any questions which I will try to answer as best I can. Have fun reading!
- Free entrance to thousands of listed monuments and sites across the whole country. Some of them are private or do not open to the public during the rest of the year. Go to the local Tourist Office for a list of the participating objects in that town. Check the Open Monumentendag for more information.
- Visit our forts and reinforcements during this whole month., Check this website (in Dutch). On the left side is a list where you can at least make out visiting hours, entrance fees and address. Most forts are not open to the public during the year. Only in September.
This section gives you a shortcut to my most handy travel tips.
Scheduler for all Dutch public transportation (including translation of Dutch into English).
Openinig a Dutch bank account and governmental information for foreigners
A travelogue and printable PDF file gives you all the info you need for a layover at Schiphol, including advice to make a flying visit into Amsterdam.
Summer 2010 I've progressed quite far in updating this total Netherlands page, to check broken links and old information. Replacing it with current information. Let me know if you find anything that's outdated. Thanks!
More to be added...
Picture starting top left clockwise:
Dutch coffee machine Senseo Crema (Philips) / Delft Blue heart / Oil platform / Dutch national flag along river Maas / Zoetermeer train station
Under Must See Activities you will find a short impression about Dutch places, the distance and driving directions from Amsterdam and a link to my VT page about that place.
Under Off the Beaten Path you will find some tips with museums and activities which even Dutch people in their own country do not readily know about.
Under Local Customs you will mostly find Dutch recipes and eating habits.
Under Tourist Traps Tips you will find some cultural tips about what the Dutch people are like. Some of the tips are tongue-in-cheek!
Under Accomodations there are some general tips (youth hostels, hotel chains) and one or two hotels per province where I actually stayed,.
Under Restaurants there is not much yet. There are numerous restaurant tips on my VT pages describing places in The Netherlands. In the near future I hope to add one or two restaurant tips per large city and per province.
Under Warnings or Dangers there are also some 20 tips. That doesn't mean The Netherlands is a dangerous country but it does have some tips about how to behave when you are a tourist in our country. And also some practical tips about travelling to/in The Netherlands. Tips have been updated April 2007.
Under Transportation you will find interesting rail info and rail passes.
Under Shopping Tips you will find shops and Dutch products. I also selected a few online websites where you can order Dutch products online like clogs, stroopwafels and Dutch coins.
Under General Tips you will find some history, old maps and anything noteworthy that doesn't fit into other categories.
Under Sports Travel there are quite a few typically Dutch sports and entertainment that in most cases can be engaged in by anyone.
Under Nightlife you will find just one tip. It's a link to a constantly updated website with nightlife tips, partying, disco's, festivals etc.
Picture starting top left clockwise:
Parked bicycles / Dutch police car / Warning against pickpockets / road sign for tourists / sign: bicycles will be removed / Dutch mail box / entry to Schiedam metro / parking meter
Quick overview of my Netherlands tips to make it easy for you to see the titles of my tips at a glance.
Do you want a conversation topic with Dutch people? Current Affairs and Misc. News is the newest travelogue about various current issues in The Netherlands. Be they political, cultural, social or trends. Still very much under construction. I'm open to any ideas!
Dutch Literature my personal choice is one of my favourite travelogues. It's amazing how much old and contemporary Dutch literature is translated into English and other languages. Let me know if you have read one of them!
The travelogue Dutch money before the Euro is my own little monument to the old Dutch coins before the Euro. Many silver 10 and 50 guilder coins and special coins from my collection.
Dutch Art is fairly newly updated with Dutch paintings, old and contemporary. More paintings can also be found in the t'logue "Quick Overview".
The Dutch Architecturë travelogue needs more info!
I'd be happy to hear your suggestions.
ATLC promotes NL abroad shows me in my version of a Dutch costume in various countries abroad.
Sailing Dutch waters has a few pictures of my sailing trips and a few old pictures of our boat "Zeeleeuw" (a Carena 36, sold a few years ago).
Theme Parks should all be in tips but haven't gotten round to doing that yet. Nice one for family travel, I think.
Fortified towns have my special interest (I live in one myself - Brielle). I hope to have visited all fortified towns and fortifications in the years to come.
Zoos in NL should also be in tips. Full info for the time being is in the t'logue though.
The travelogue Hats is just a little silly hobby of mine.
Please help me to improve this page by telling me what you miss, or about anything incorrect or lacking. Mail to ATLC@vtmail.com
- Pros:Small country big in culture.
- Cons:Total traffic jam can be as long as the country's length
- In a nutshell:Perfect compact country to explore!
You can get an English version of the app 9292 for android phone so you will always have any schedule for Dutch public... more travel advice
Drenthe is one of the more northern provinces with a very rural character. For instance there is more than 1400 kms of... more travel advice
- See All What's on in Dutch museums
- See All Pieterpad, long distance walk
- See All Need for private nursing
- See All Group or family accommodation
- See All Learn Dutch
ATLC's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 2,113 Reviews
- 3,196 Photos
- 2,911 Forum posts
- 152 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Travel Oudenaarde Forum "Monday 9 June and restaurant tip"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Netherlands tips
- Wrote a Review App for public transportation schedules in Netherlands Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "App for public transportation schedules"
- updated a Netherlands Travel Page "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
Videos in NetherlandsSee All Videos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues