Rome Things to Do Tips by ATLC
Rome Things to Do: 5,348 reviews and 10,062 photos
Colosseum Rome, ATLC
You can walk through the Colosseum, Palatine hill and forum in even one morning. But then you won't really know what you're looking at. That's where you need a good guide (either in person, a history teacher perhaps, or a printed guide) to appreciate these places. Otherwise yes... you would think it's a pile of old stones.
Last October, I visited all 3 sites with my friend who is a Latin and Classics teacher. Once he started telling the stories, the whole place comes alive. It's so mindblowing how modern these Romans were 2000 years ago.
People all make a photo of themselves in the Colosseum on the same spot, which is quite funny.
The Palatine hill is where Emperor Augustus lived. There is MAJOR news about this.
Earlier this month, the house of August on Palatine hill opened to the public after some 40 years of restoration. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be a world heritage site before long, it is that unusual.
You'd be so lucky to be among the first to see this some 2 millennia after it was made.
You can google this or start by reading this article:
St. Paul in San Clemente basilica
This church is not what it seems. Because below the church there are catacombs. Rome is built in layers over the centuries and streetlevel today is much higher than it was before. This church is built upon another church. Which you would now consider catacombs. But wait, below that lower church is a Roman house!
This tip is about the newest church, dating from the 12th century A.D. You can find a load of information about it in the link below.
What struck me about the church is that it feels real. Not touristy. There is a wall painting of St. Paul with a square halo. This is very unusual. Usually these are round. But square means 'alive'.
On a practical note: on entering the courtyard in front of the church, there is a toilet on your right hand side. Might just come in handy!
Address: Via Labicana 96, Roma
Directions: Metrostop Colosseum, then a 10 minute walk east.
More Reviews (23)
ATLC's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 25 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 143 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The most-asked questions?"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Rome tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "DO NOT MISS! Coffee in total grandeur"
- Wrote a Review DO NOT MISS! Coffee in total grandeur about Antico Cafe Greco in Rome Restaurants
- updated a Rome Travel Page "Impressive impressions"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 291 reviews, 424 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 62 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (152)
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Pop Inn Hostel
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- NH Giustiniano
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- B&B Cicerone 28
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel Orlanda
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Residenza Madri Pie
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Nicolas Inn
- 652 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Giulio Cesare
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 12, 2012
- Lazzari Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2012
- Les Chambres D'Or
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Guest House Arena Rome
- 192 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Grand Hotel De La Minerve
- 282 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Colosseum- 488 Reviews, 883 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 328 Reviews, 534 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 183 Reviews, 299 Photos
- Roman Forum- 295 Reviews, 548 Photos
- Pantheon- 261 Reviews, 523 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 294 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 140 Reviews, 259 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 234 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Villa Borghese- 88 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Campo dei Fiori- 59 Reviews, 103 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do