"Auxerre" Top 5 Page for this destination Auxerre by ATLC

Auxerre Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 260 photos

A special place

Why not start a page about this splendid town with a romantic twist? The French certainly know how to dress for a wedding. The idea of dressing down, like in my country The Netherlands, does not apply here. And the bride looked lovely in white and burgundy. After all, the latter is not only a colour but also the region's name: Bourgogne (Burgundy).

Here in Auxerre I fullfilled an 18 year old dream of mine.
To buy a set of Laguiole steak knives.
Other than that, on the three occassions that I visited this town at the entry of the Bourgogne, in 1990, 1999 and 2003, the weather was glorious, and Auxerre looked absolutely delightful.
Apart from the sights, one can shop to one's heart's content !

• Last visit to Auxerre: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2007

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Auxerre is a lovely place, we went there recently, by accident.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 12:41 PM

well ive been to Auxerre now but before i knew about those knives!(but wow - do you know how much thats mean they are in aussie and kiwi dollars!!)had a great time though and such a photogenic town!just been looking at yr knives tips again!

• Jul 13, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Madame and Monsieur were wonderful in assisting me, with my broken French, in purchasing a Laguiole pocket knife. They were the opposite of the American stereotype of the brusque French, and I appreciated their warmth. The prices were worth the service!

• RubenE's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 11:29 PM

Those knives....amazing

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2005 at 3:47 PM

Indeed, a special place. Excellent tips of Auxerre.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2003 at 6:47 AM

So many great places in France. (Belgians like us are lucky , a three hour drive and we are in a pitoresque city for a weekend..)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2003 at 12:12 AM

haven't been in Auxerre for 25y. gosh sooo many lovely Memos, good on ya, fullfilling a 'dream' is always good.have fun cooking

• DanielF's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2003 at 3:46 PM

That was indeed a tasteful bride.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2002 at 11:45 AM

In June, we bought some lovely crémant near Auxerre. See my accommodations tip for the address.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2002 at 3:26 AM

We also got some good wine in the town of Chablis (yes of course we got Chablis wine).

ATLC Visits Here Frequently!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Auxerre

Have you been to Auxerre?

Latest Activity in Auxerre