"A mighty impressive abbey" Fontevrault-l'Abbaye by ATLC

Fontevrault-l'Abbaye Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 88 photos

't was in the VT database after all!

I searched and searched for this destination on the VT database, because in Michelin (the foremost French cartographer, amongst other things _like car tyres_hahaha) it shows up as 49590 Fontevraud-l'Abbaye . Which is a different spelling.

My trick? I looked up a tiny village nearby, which was Montsoreau and then checked all its locations nearby. And there it was!

A lot of VT members have visited this great abbey but put their tips on their Angers page. So if you're looking for more information, do a Keyword search for Fontevraud Abbaye and you'll get some returns.

Now about the abbey

The abbey is mindblowing. It really is. For its sheer history of 900 years, the famous kings and queens that are connected to it, the architecture, and the great Romanesque kitchen that was my main reason for visiting.

It's been a while and I've taken too long to put up this page. Hopefully I can recover my memories of the many photos that I took there.
In the Things to Do category, you can take a walk with me through the abbey.
Click here to start...
Enjoy!

• Last visit to Fontevrault-l'Abbaye: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2008

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Cool page! I very much enjoyed my walk through the abbey with you :-) I had never heard of this place before - definitely looks like I have to add it to my must see list for France :-))

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Being one of those who left their impressions on the Saumur page I was glad to know that VT does in fact list this most delightful of places. The Croix Blanche must have been where we ate dinner as well outside in the courtyard. It was very good.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2008 at 5:25 AM

A most enjoyable journey, hopefully one day, I'll be back in Europe for many similar visits, with these fine VT guides ;-)))

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM

We ate at La Croix Blanche too in 2006. We didn't get the flat bread. It looks like sopapillas in New Mexico. Great photos!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2008 at 3:46 PM

A very impressive place indeed, especially the chapter house with its carved arches and wall paintings. Poor nuns who had to confess their sins publicly! Amazing that only abbesses were in charge of this rich abbey. Thanks for the virtual tour.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 2:33 AM

nice coverage A-T, thanks for the tour, lovely to see its whiteness and the involvement with Eleanor of Aquitaine and Richard etc. I always end up spending too long in the bookshops at the end!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I have just discovered that both writings were used for Fontevrault/d. I will try to learn more about it! It was a prison until 1963 and not open for visits! What I like the most is the Romanesque kitchen from outside! Outstanding photos & excellent tour!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Fontevrault-l'Abbaye

Have you been to Fontevrault-l'Abbaye?