"3 months in Brighton" New Brighton by ATLC

New Brighton Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 96 photos

Life on the beach

When we lived in Christchurch, we temporarily moved to New Brighton to live in a caravan near the beach and Avon estuary for 3 months. Because our house was sold and two new houses were being built by my father.

I made friends with two boys my age and we got into heaps of fun and trouble. Going to the beach with picnics (cheese and onion sandwiches), going surfing...
Running wild in the woods around the estuary, pinching matches and burning anything of interest, from a plastic box, twigs, leftovers from barbecues and a dead seal. Yes, we did get caught and punished... :-) I even remember how. My parents had friends over who had children. The eldest boy came along with us to play. We made a fire. He told the parents. The rest is history... (I hope I punched him hard, but I can't remember I did!).

I still have the tiniest scar on the back of my left hand, as a result of that I burned myself.

• Last visit to New Brighton: Dec 1974
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2008

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2008 at 7:49 AM

cute - and naughty!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 12:29 AM

similar stuff - we used to go down and play in the big pond below us, make huts even if was under the ironing board and naughty boy cousins same with matches make fires and pretend we were on an adventure!cute to see more of yr old pics in NZ!

ATLC Used To Live Here!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in New Brighton

Have you been to New Brighton?

Latest Activity in New Brighton