"A mad train trip" Le Puy-en-Velay by ATLC
Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 247 photos
Three girls on a mad weekend to Puy-en-Velay which is a 12 hour trip from Rotterdam. Packed with a heavy suitcase each (whatever for?) we were invited to a party weekend in Puy.
The train ride to Paris went without much ado. But then we had to change stations. From Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon we had a choice. Drag our stuff on to the metro, which usually involves quite a bit of walking, or stand in a long line for a taxi. Technically we had enough time.
There were plenty of taxis but the line was long. Once settled in the taxi we proceeded to get stuck in traffic. And arrived at Gare de Lyon 5 minutes late.
We ran to the platform and found about 4 long TGV's waiting. We ran halfway one platform but discovered it was the wrong one. A train warden directed us to the right one, but we had to run madly back and to the next train. Halfway, because we had reserved seats and had to find the right entrance.
Once we found it, we literally threw our suitcases inside, tumbled all 3 of us on top in a heap and chokingly asked if we were in the right train.
It took us about an hour to catch our breath!
Bless French lack of punctuality, the train left 20 minutes late!
I've packed as lightly as I can, since.
The train trip to Lyon was uneventful. It only takes about 2 hours. But the layover in Lyon was quite long before we could take an old, rambling train for a final 3 hour lap to Puy.
The train warden was someone from a film. It reminded me of that BBC comedy about a train station (VT-ers, help me out here please!), he walked about as if he owned it. The scenery was spectacular, much of it up windy tracks, climbing hills and along mountain streams.
Finally we arrived in Puy and were taken to our hostess' home. Saturday was filled with a tour of Puy, the charter and gala dinner in the evening. Sunday it took all day to get back again. Unfortunately I had flu and a bad cold so I slept most of the way and was very happy to be home.
- Pros:Very off the beaten path
- Cons:uh, very off the beaten path :-)
- In a nutshell:Did I mention: off the beaten path?
French markets are a treat. This one here is on Saturday and I bought fresh herbs, honey and could hardly resist lots of... more travel advice
Puy-en-Velay is famous for its green lentils. I still have the tin with the lentils (never ate them!). I did use to... more travel advice
ATLC's Related Pages
Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit of Orient. . . ."
- "Le Puy-en-Velay … or just Le Puy to most!"
- "RELIGION ABOUNDS IN LE-PUY-EN-VELAY"
- "A UNIQUE HISTORICAL PLACE"
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site in Le-Puy-en-Velay"
- "A mad train trip"
- "Passing through Le Puy-en-Velay? Take a look."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Hotels in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Restaurants in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Shopping in Le Puy-en-Velay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Le Puy-en-Velay
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (132)
Have you been to Le Puy-en-Velay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Le Puy-en-Velay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 291 reviews, 424 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 62 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Le Puy-en-Velay hotel reviews
- All Seasons Le Puy en Velay Centre
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013