"Rouen" Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen by ATLC

Rouen Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,185 photos

A LEISURELY WEEKEND

A short visit to Rouen took place in the weekend of 18-20 May 2002.
I've been before but that was on the way to Bordeaux and Biarritz. This was a slightly longer visit.

It's just impossible to capture a complete image of Rouen.
But there are loads of my own photo's in the travelogues.
Please walk the city walk with me, virtually, through my travelogues.

Photo: Note that precious look on the little boys face! Everytime he came round he turned his head around to look for his parents. He looked so serious! I waited a long time and finally clicked at the right moment, just before he turned around again!

DON'T OVERDOSE ON THE SIGHTS!

The reason for this trip was a conference in Laval, some 300 km. south of Rouen. So us three girls drove to Rouen on Saturday, after the conference, where we were to meet up with our husbands who'd travelled down from the Netherlands separately. Arriving in Rouen, we got them on the mobile phone so they could direct us to the parking garage in the center of town. I got an eery feeling whilst driving through the streets and arriving at Place Vieux Marché. Why? I'd chosen Rouen for the remainder of our long weekend because I thought we'd like it. But when I arrived, I slowly realised I'd been there before already! Some years before on a Normandy holiday. I felt so silly!
But it was great to see all the beautiful sights again.

TAKE A VIRTUAL WALK WITH ME

The Must See tips are highlights from the travelogues. The travelogues describe a detailed walk through the historical center of Rouen.

I found an interesting webpage (in Dutch) from an institution that offers online education. In this case for students learning French. To my surprise I was mentioned there.
Read here

• Pros:everything is within walking distance
  • Last visit to Rouen: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2004

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Looks like a great place for the weekend trip. Lots of sights there! Love that the food market is open on Sundays, wow!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

researching a possible trip to france, thanks for some great tips. most helpful, this looks gorgeous!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 10:34 AM

and also popular with Monet with his series of paintings of the cathedral - i visited here after visiting his fantastic garden at Giverny and again a further time.thanx for yr tips and pics.

• Apr 25, 2006 at 5:04 AM

this website isn't as good as i first thought, i am disappointed.\ bob

• hojasdehierba's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Seems a nice city. Good tips! Thanks for sharing.

• Jasen71's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 6:27 PM

Rouen is a favourite city of mine, however lately i have only driven thru it...shame I should stop after seeing your tips...

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 10:03 AM

Great page Anke - How do you remember all this stuff. I look at my pictures a few weeks later and barely remember my wife's name. Karl

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 9:52 AM

Nice piece of presentation of Rouen, Do you know that the French eventually named one of their helicopter carrier Naval Ship Jeanne d'Arc?. She is presently in South East Asia helping with the Tsunami Victims. Excellent Tips AT.

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2004 at 11:12 PM

hmmm..I like the Architectures ..especially the half timbered house here and I am drawn to Joan of Arc's history..but I guess what I need is a small village scene and landscape - else i will be arch. overload . anyway thanks , great page this is !

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2003 at 2:28 AM

Just amaizing.... It has been included in my list of next ... to go .... lol thanks for sharing with us Anke!

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Badges & Stats in Rouen