"Closter at 850 metres" Sainte-Odile by ATLC
Sainte-Odile Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
The duke of Etichon had a daughter. Which he was furious about, because he wanted a son. He wanted to kill her.
His wife Bereswinde, entrusted the child to a nunnery and so she grew up in convents in Palma in Burgundy. At 12 years of age, she was baptised and took the name Odile (daughter of light). Her brother Hugue (ah! the father had his desired son!), took Odile to her paternal castle. Her father, furious again, killed his son. Odile then refused to marry and fled. The duke flew into a rage again. She sought refuge in the rocks which opened miraculously to give her sanctuary from her father's anger. Duke Etichon then proceeded to build a monastery for his daughter. She died in the year 720 AC and her body wa sput in a sarcophage in the chapel of Saint Jean Baptiste, which is now called Chapelle Sainte Odile.
(translated from French postcard)
Oops. Forgot to scan photo. Will follow.
ATLC's Related Pages
Sainte-Odile Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sainte-Odile
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (132)
Have you been to Sainte-Odile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sainte-Odile
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 291 reviews, 424 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 62 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues