Eisenach Off The Beaten Path Tips by ATLC
Eisenach Off The Beaten Path: 14 reviews and 48 photos
Villa Bomberg in DDR time
On our last visit I had already noted the many beautiful grand old villas in Eisenach. I had not noticed, however, how many there really were. It was only because we stayed at Villa Bomberg, in the 'Villa Quarter' that I realised I need perhaps the better part of a day (next visit!) to enjoy these great buildings of the past.
These villas are built end of the 19th century up to the beginning of the 20th century. Eisenach was a place where industrials, men/women of science and art, pensioned army men settled down and had great mansions built.
The reason they came here was that Eisenach already had a good railway connection, the countryside is beautiful, the Wartburg (currently a World Heritage site) was already a great monument. Of course many famous names are connected to Eisenach: Martin Luther, JS Bach, Goethe, etc. etc.
There are bookable tours to see these villas. I did not do any of them, since I only had an hour before breakfast. In our hotel Villa Bomberg I read about the villas and their family histories the night before and then set out by myself to shoot some random photos.
Most of them I shall put in a travelogue here.
This is one of the 2 books I read:
More Reviews (4)
ATLC's Related Pages
Eisenach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wartburg, lots of vintage-Wartburgs & a lot more"
- "Eisenach - where history and legends intertwine"
- "My Eisenach"
- "Eisenach: from Bach to Egk"
- "Eisenach Page"
- "JS Bach, born and baptised in Eisenach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eisenach
- Hotels in Eisenach
- Transportation in Eisenach
- Restaurants in Eisenach
- See All...
Explore the World
- Adelaide Hills
- Estonia Off The Beaten Path
- Wales Off The Beaten Path
- Bordeaux Off The Beaten Path
- Around Stuttgart
- Llandudno Off The Beaten Path
- Ankara Off The Beaten Path
- Lancaster Off The Beaten Path
- Delaware Off The Beaten Path
- Colombia Off The Beaten Path
- Telluride Off The Beaten Path
- Saugatuck Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Eisenach
- 5 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Eisenach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eisenach
Photos in EisenachSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 292 reviews, 426 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 159 reviews, 337 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brielle Intro, 126 reviews, 187 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 129 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traben-Trarbach Intro, 43 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 77 reviews, 85 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madagascar Intro, 53 reviews, 107 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 42 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 63 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
Latest Eisenach hotel reviews
- Hotel Kaiserhof
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- City Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2012
- Goebels Sophien Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Penta Hotel Eisenach
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 28, 2013
- Hotel Auf Der Wartburg
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Steigenberger Hotel Thuringer Hof
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Villa Bomberg
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012