"Welcome to my travels" ATLC's Profile

A day out on the SS Rotterdam in... Rotterdam!

My latest breaks (2010) were:*
Bouillon, in the Belgian Ardennes and Leuven, Belgian university city and Geraardsbergen, a famous point in the Round of Flanders (biking)

Read about the Euromeet 2008 in Karlsruhe*

A weekend in the country. VT has a new contest about our favourite weekend out, and I came up with ga selection of places that are so close together, yet offer so much in way of nature, country life, history and even a Unesco Heritage site. Cycling from village to village or small town, it's all in the western part of the provinces Drenthe and Overijssel in The Netherlands. The places include Meppel, Ruinerwold, Kallenkote, Vledder, Frederiksoord, Steenwijk, Giethoorn, Kolderveen and Staphorst.

One of my favourite foods is the new Dutch herring. Salted, cleaned and eaten immediately. On sale as of today (3 June 2008). Yummy! I'd like to hear about your country's delicacies too. I posted a question about that on the Misc forum.

Friday 7 March, VT meeting in Amsterdam

martin_nl organised a meeting in Amsterdam which was great fun. It was nice to attend one again, after a few years of not doing so, for me.
We had drinks in Arendsnest cafe (Herengracht 90) and then dinner at Indonesian restaurant Kantjil in the Spuistraat.
Half the group went on to a 90s party afterwards, but some of us had a long drive home.
Thank you martin_nl for a wonderful evening.
It was great to meet: martin_nl (Martin from Zwaanshoek), dila (Diana from Amsterdam), Igraine (Ingrid from Middenbeemster), LrSorr (Lara from Boston, US), pieter_jan_v and Swanet from Hengelo, NL, shutterlust from New York, US, and Harm and Chris, friends but not VT-ers

RESTAURANTWEEK ROTTERDAM (AND OTHER CITIES) 27 AUG - 2 SEPT 2012
CLICK HERE

A list of really good restaurants in Rotterdam offer a 3-course menu for only € 25 per person during this week.

FIND ROTTERDAM FESTIVALS 2010 HERE

VEGEMITE VERSUS MARMITE: PLACE YOUR BETS

New hometown: Hellevoetsluis

You were accustomed to see a field of Brussels sprouts here but it is gone! I have a new hometown called Hellevoetsluis. It is very near Brielle! Of course the page will grow over time.

My former hometown Brielle of 23 years page got an honorary mention in the VT contest.

For those of you that miss the sprouts, have a look at my delicious Local Customs Tips on my Netherlands page many Dutch recipes!.

Suriname + a research question

The older I become, the more it seems to me that my birth country sticks on me far more than I would think. There's not many situations when I don't feel like a Dutch girl through and through. When people speak about immigrants into The Netherlands, or racial issues. Or religions other than christianity. When I hear opinions but most of all assumptions about "others". Then I forget all about being Dutch!
But of course, Surinamese culture is firmly embedded and part of Dutch culture. Read about this fascinating country Suriname!

Now something else struck me when I was on holiday last week. Something that I have only on holiday and not at other times. This needs a bit of research.
You see, I always go to pee just before we leave for a day of sightseeing. But 10 minutes in the car and I have to go again. Always. 'It's between your ears, dear', I'm told. I actually think it's a sort of car sickness. Not psychological. But last week, we went out for a day of sightseeing on foot. Not car. And guess what, after 10 minutes... I told this story at my drama class (being an exercise in public speaking) and half the ladies recognised the 'problem'. What do you think? Is it between the ears? Do you have it? Let me know!

ABOUT MY PAGES

Germany
All along the Mosel: Bernkastel-Kues, Cochem, Traben-Trarbach
France
In the Loire region: Saumur
In the Alsace region: Illhausern, Obernai, Orschwiller, Sainte-Odile, Saverne, Soultz-les-Bains, Wissembourg
In the Basse-Normandie region: Bayeux, Mont-Saint-Michel
In the Bourgogne region: Tournus
In the Bretagne region: Bretagne, Camaret-sur-Mer, Dinan, Lamballe
Le Conquet, Lézardrieux, Névez, Plévenon, Plougrescant, Quessoy, Saint-Malo
In the Centre region: Chenonceau (Loire)
In the Ile-de-France region: Barbizon
Carlisle, Dent, Askrigg, Hawes, Ingleton

Trips coming up:
Rome (October 2007)

Pages in scaffolds
Plenty of photo's and material but haven't gotten round to properly building those yet. Theyt're still half finished or not even started at all. So please encourage me if you see a page of mine with little on it :-)

HOME SWEET HOME

Righto! You want to see me wear this footwear? Travel to my Netherlands page and click the travelogue AT promotes NL abroad.

I think travelling is also about your own town, and the country you live in. I find it important to know my country The Netherlands well. And I love spending free time roaming around back roads, and discovering new museums, sights, cities and nature in our small but wonderful country.
Home
For my direct surroundings please visit the following destinations, all within 3-15 km. from each other:
Brielle
Zwartewaal
Hellevoetsluis
Oostvoorne
Rockanje
Geervliet
Heenvliet
Rotterdam (30 km. from Hellevoetsluis)
Rozenburg

VT MEETINGS AND FRIENDS

Some numbers:
Page visits

This page has an average of 33 visits per day since November 2001. Truly baffling.

Pages, tips and photo's
New locations, tips and photo's are added all the time.
2007 Travel Pages: 277, Tips: 3052, Photos: 4228
2002 Travel Pages: 101, Tips: 378, Photo's: 1137
%s*

I attended 7 VT meetings since April 2002:
Utrecht , April 2002 (see Utrecht page) on the spur of the moment
Rotterdam , August 2002, which I organised together with Robin_Linda
Antwerp, December 2002, organised by Irisbe and diamonddog
Amsterdam, February 2003, organised by lgraine and Nighthawk.
Rotterdam , June 2003, organised by mir_26
Amsterdam, April 2007, organised by martin_nl
Karlsruhe (Germany), May 2008, organised by the ABC Team
VT Friends list: ADDING YOU
Since the new VT (Sept.2002) I have met a lot of new and interesting people on VT. If I add you to my Friends List, it will always be with your consent.
VT Friends list: ADDING ME
I'd appreciate it if you ask me first, before adding me to your Friends List.

A wee rest and decently dressed

aboard the SS Rotterdam.

• Intro Updated Jul 22, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
ATLC's Profile Photo

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Real Name