"~~Welcome to City of Eve~~" Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah by majed81
Jiddah Travel Guide: 713 reviews and 1,291 photos
Jeddah is one of the most ancient cities in Arabia going back as far as Adam & Eve.
Jeddah is the second largest city of Saudi Arabia.
It is also an important economical and portal location in the Middle East.
The main characteristic of this great town it is built by its own people.
Jeddah well known to have successful business people in many fields.
Jeddah remained a fortified, walled town for centuries of
Ottoman influence and was not released from Turkish rule until 1915.
Further evidence of Turkish influence can be seen in Jeddah's architecture.
The buildings of old Jeddah were tall and graceful, constructed of
coral limestone and decorated with intricately beautiful wooden
facades, known as rawasheen(singular roshan in Turkish means "light").
These were designed not only to break up the sun's glare, but also to
take advantage of the cooling sea breezes when the inner windows were opened.
The city was surrounded with a wall since 1506 to save
the city from the Portuguese attacks, built by Hussain Kurdi at first.
Then removed in 1947.
Defiantly Old Jeddah!
This magical spots make you think of Sindbad & Aladdin legend
The old quarter of Jeddah is divided
into many sections or as we locals call it (harah).
1- Harat Al Mazlom
In English (The oppressed section).
The story behind the name goes at
the Ottoman Emperor when a
person called Abdul-Kareem Barzanji was oppressed and got
killed by the Ottomans.
This section contains some historical houses and mosques
such as the House of Ba Eshin
house, Qabil house, Al Shafiei mosque and Al Jamee mosque.
2- Harat al Sham
In English it means the northern Arab which are (Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon) are called the people of Sham.
It is located by the direction of Sham
because that it is called the Sham section or harat al Sham.
It contained the historical houses of
Zahid, Surati, Ba Najah and Al Sharif.
3- Harat Al Yaman
In English would be The Yemeni
It is located by the direction of Yemen that’s why it is called the Yemen section.
It contains old houses of Nasif and
4- Harat Al Bahar
In English it would be the Sea section.
It is located by the sea this is why it
is called the Sea section.
It contained the building of Karantena (Sadly enough not been
taken care of)
Al Shafiei mosque
As I said it is located at al mazloom
section. The mosque minaret built
from the 13th century.
The mosque of Caliph Othman
Located at al Mazloom Section
Another name of the mosque is the
Abanos mosque because it has
very big minaret.
It was built in the 15th century.
- Pros:Open minded people; understand other cultures, good prices.
- Cons:The historic quarter need some attention, mad Taxi drivers.
- In a nutshell:Simply Jeddah is the mermaid of the Red Sea
Red Sea diving location, fishing, golden sand beaches, speed boats, wind surfer, jet ski, motor boats, beach parasols... more travel advice
- See All You are in Jeddah! Then you MUST try...
- See All Try simple vegetarian Saudi dish (Baba...
- See All Good clothing and relaxing café
- Limousines (TAXI)
majed81's Related Pages
Jiddah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Here is where I live"
- "Jiddah--the narrator of my tedious life's story"
- "life @ the beach"
- "~~Welcome to City of Eve~~"
- "Journey to the West"
- "jeddah,Jiddah: RedSea Bride,RedSea Mermaid"
- "fouads's new Jiddah Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jiddah
- Hotels in Jiddah
- Transportation in Jiddah
- Nightlife in Jiddah
- Restaurants in Jiddah
- Shopping in Jiddah
- Warnings and Dangers in Jiddah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jiddah
- 72 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 142 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Jiddah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jiddah
- Posted in Travel Saudi Arabia Forum "RE: RE: Weekends in Assir Area"
- updated a Jiddah Travel Page "~~Welcome to City of Eve~~"
- Uploaded a Photo to "~~Welcome to City of Eve~~"
- Wrote a Review Red Sea diving, fishing & Swimming. about Durat Al Arous in Jiddah Things to Do
- Commented on one of Manyana's Jiddah travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jiddah Intro, 72 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saudi Arabia Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Colorado Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Denver Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Turkey Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Mecca Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Riyadh Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Boulder Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Iowa Intro, 2 photos
- Vail Intro, 1 photo