Athens Shopping Tips by athenian80
Athens Shopping: 140 reviews and 179 photos
Greek (?) souvenirs in a monastiraki shop
What to buy: Since sculpture is the most prominent art form of Greece it would be a good idea to buy some replicas of famous sculptures as souvenirs. Around Plaka and Monastiraki you’ll find such sculptures of any size in abundance. Yet, I would strongly recommend you to try that from a museum rather than a tourist shop. The replicas of the museums are the official ones and furthermore those in tourist shops have in many cases little relevance with the original Greek art(like the figurine in the center of this picture). You’ll pay something more but it’s worth it!
Directions: National Archaeological museum,Benaki museum,Museum of Cycladic Art etc You'll find exceptional replicas there
From a shop at Monastiraki... Choose...
What to buy: Komboloy is a kind of toy for adults. Traditionally held by men, komboloy is something to keep your hands busy. Shift it, count the beads or hang it somewhere. It is one of the most popular souvenirs and very good for a gift. Shapes, styles and colors vary greatly.
What to pay: It's up to you. You can find as cheap as 2 € or very expensive ones depending on the material (e.g. silver)
Theme: Local Craft
This 7-storey bookstore in the very center of the city is the largest. Each floor is dedicated to a subject and in the 6th floor there is a café. The books are not only in Greek but in english as well. I spend many hours in the 7th floor: it's the section with the travel guides, maps, atlases etc!
What to buy: There is a great array of books concerning Athens. In the 7th floor you'll find all Athens travel-guides in the market. Useful maps as well. In the 3rd floor, dictionaries of Greek and many other languages as well as Greek-learning methods.
What to pay: A travel guide costs around 15-20 €
Address: 17,E. Venizelou street (Panepistimiou)
Directions: Very close to Syntagma
the Olympic store at the airport
Currently there are five official Olympic stores in Athens. The one is at the national airport,so it's easy to find it once you reach Athens by plane, and all the others are downtown,at the Lambropoulos shopping mall(just next to Omonia square),at Korai pedestrian street (between Stadiou and Panepistimiou streets), at Plaka along Kydathineon street and finally the largest, that opened recently, along Ermou street. Yet,you can find the official Olympic products in many tourist shops around Plaka. The prices are the same everywhere.
What to buy: You can't leave Athens without buying at least one Olympic product!
Address: Lambropoulos mall:Stadiou and Eolou streets corner
Souvenirs in a plaka tourist shop
What to buy: The best place to buy some souvenirs is ofcourse Plaka and Monastiraki. The majority of the tourist shops are located along Adrianou and Pandrosou streets, the main streets of Plaka.
What to pay: Before you buy anything I would strongly recommend to take a walk and check all the shops along the two streets since many items may have a different price from one shop to another (the difference is not great but if you want to buy many its prudent to find the lower price available)
Directions: Plaka and Monastiraki
The medieval "Kapnikaréa"
The shops along Ermou street
What to buy: Ermou street is the most commercial pedestrian street of Athens. Named after the ancient god of commerce and messenger of gods ,Hermes,it hosts many brandnames (predominantly) on women's clothing and footwear. Girls,this is your place! But guys i'm warning you ! Don't go there with girls or else they'll drive you crazy entering each and every store. I know...Beginning your walk from Syntagma square and walking down Ermou str. you'll find the medieval chapel of 'Kapnikaréa'. This church of the 11th century AD was really lucky. It was to be demolished in 1834 as it would be in the middle of the street but fortunately this never hapenned. And so it remained there,on the junction of the two streets. Note that Ermou became a pedestrian street only a few years ago. The ambience at Ermou during Christmas is awesome!Bands from every corner of the world make it an experience you shouldn't miss !
Directions: Syntagma square
More Reviews (64)
- See All Bairaktaris tavern (at Monastiraki...
- See All Christmas in Athens
- See All The University
- See All Koulouria-a typical snack
- See All The Tram is here!!
- See All Acropolis' greatest view
athenian80's Related Pages
Athens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My trap!"
- "A Dream Holiday Destination"
- "Athina mou..."
- "Athens afterwords"
- "The Beginning... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!"
- "Poetry for Athena"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athens
- Hotels in Athens
- Transportation in Athens
- Nightlife in Athens
- Restaurants in Athens
- Shopping in Athens
- Warnings and Dangers in Athens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athens
- 70 Reviews
- 113 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 90 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athens
- updated a Athens Travel Page "A brand new old story"
- Commented on one of 8892's Athens travel pages
- Wrote a Review Bairaktaris tavern (at Monastiraki square) about Overpriced restaurants in Athens Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christmas in Athens"
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: heat waves and fires around..."
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 70 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rafina Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Crete Island Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bari Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ermoupolis Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Larissa Intro, 3 photos
- Nicosia Intro, 2 photos
- Andros Island Intro, 2 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 1 photo
- Lycabettus Hill- 58 Reviews, 113 Photos
- Changing of the Guard- 59 Reviews, 115 Photos
- Acropolis- 173 Reviews, 322 Photos
- Plaka- 74 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Syntagma Square - Parliament- 77 Reviews, 146 Photos
- Ancient Agora- 117 Reviews, 203 Photos
- Acropolis - Parthenon- 81 Reviews, 155 Photos
- Temple Of Olympian Zeus- 69 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Panathenaic Stadium - Kallimarmaro- 44 Reviews, 81 Photos
- National Garden- 36 Reviews, 78 Photos
See All Athens Things to Do