"Baarle-Nassau / Baarle-Hertog" Baarle-Nassau by OlafS
Baarle-Nassau Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 72 photos
Some things are so complicated that they really should be solved. Others are so complicated that they are far too interesting to solve. Baarle-Nassau is an example of the latter. It's probably the strangest village in Europe. To start making it complicated; Belgium calls this place Baarle-Hertog. Why I mention this? Because most of this village belongs to Belgium. This village is completely surrounded by Dutch territory, which makes it a Belgian enclave. To add to the confusion; Baarle-Hertog is not really just one enclave, it is a series of enclaves. Small pieces of land. The land between, and sometimes even within these enclaves, belongs to the Netherlands and is called Baarle-Nassau. No wonder this place calls itself the biggest jigsaw-puzzle in the world. The two governments didn't agree on the borders until the 1980's. And still they forgot a small piece of land, which now belongs to nobody.
Some houses stand in two countries at the same time, a smugglers paradise!
The village itself isn't so interesting. There's little to see and not so much to do either, except for shopping, eating and drinking. But it is fun to experience the situation.
This is one of the highlights of this place, a beer shop annex cafe. When I came here the first time (must have been in... more travel advice
Het Brouweshuis (see must-see activities) is not the only place in the village where you can buy beer. De Biergrens is... more travel advice
OlafS's Related Pages
Baarle-Nassau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Paradise"
- "Baarle-Nassau / Baarle-Hertog"
- "The most remakable village of the world!"
- "A joke of place"
- "Looking for the Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baarle-Nassau
- Transportation in Baarle-Nassau
- Nightlife in Baarle-Nassau
- Restaurants in Baarle-Nassau
- Shopping in Baarle-Nassau
- Warnings and Dangers in Baarle-Nassau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baarle-Nassau
- 4 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Baarle-Nassau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baarle-Nassau
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos