"Buren" Buren by OlafS
Buren Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 53 photos
Buren is just a small place, but it's a nice one. I was born and raised not far from this place in the lovely Betuwe region, and I've been here often. It's an old place, founded somewhere in the 8th century, but the town is preserved in its 17th-18th century state. A castle, of which nothing remains, was built in the 13th century, the town itself was chartered in 1395. Although Buren became the capital of the county of the same name in 1492, as part of the Duchy of Gelre, its isolated position prevented it from becoming of great importance. After William of Orange married countess Anna van Buren the town became possession of the prince. The town did not grow outside its walls until the 20th century, reason why these mostly have survived. And just outside that old centre you will still find farms and orchards. Today Buren is especially of touristic importance, even though foreign tourists hardly ever come here. If you're nearby, do take a few hours to see this place!
- Pros:A well-preserved, quiet little old town.
- Cons:Hard to reach by public transport
- In a nutshell:A small but marvelous jewel
...but it was nice to be here. It's one of several wall-houses, built in the 17th century against the old town walls. We... more travel advice
Named after the prince is the windmill "De Prins van Oranje" ("the prince of Orange"), which was built in 1716. The mill... more travel advice
OlafS's Related Pages
Buren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buren also called "Orange town""
- "Buren - heart of the Betuwe"
- "Little city of Buren and the royal link."
- "Buren (Gld)"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buren
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Buren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buren
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos