"'s-Hertogenbosch: capital of Noord-Brabant" Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch by OlafS

Den Bosch Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 460 photos

On the old VT you couldn't make a page about this great city. Thankfully, that has been remedied now, and it was about time too. With plenty of silly entries like Europoort you can at least expect to have an entry for this provincial capital, can't you?
's-Hertogenbosch is the official name for this city, but most people prefer to use the shorter 'Den Bosch'.
's-Hertogenbosch means 'forest of the duke', as the duke of Brabant once had a hunting lodge here, near the village of Orthen. The hunting lodge became a settlement, the settlement became a city that eventually swallowed up Orthen. In the Middle Ages 's-Hertogenbosch was in importance the second city of the northern Netherlands, Utrecht being the most important, and the fourth city in importance of the Duchy of Brabant. Today 's-Hertogenbosch is the capital of the province of Noord-Brabant. It's not the biggest city in the province, and unlike Eindhoven and Tilburg it has not taken its chance to get a university within its borders. Its politicians only started thinking about demolishing the old centre when the general public started caring about these things enough to put up succesful resistance. Recently the plans to turn a unique historical building into an ugly museum, for which an entire block of old houses needed to be demolished to give it more "prestige", were abandoned. Although a modern city by any standards, 's-Hertogenbosch sill has much of its old charm. In short; a nice place that should be on the list of anybody interested in culture. Quite a nice place for shopping too.

• Last visit to Den Bosch: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2003

• Jan 21, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I ate at that McDonalds more than I care to tell. They charge extra for ketchup. Sad to see the old train station gone. I do hope de zwarte kat is still there, my favorite bar.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I'm visiting Den Bosch this saturday so reading your pages in prep - some good info & my mouth is watering already to try the bossche bol

• May 23, 2006 at 12:59 AM

Den Bosch isnt at all dangerous, I dont know what happend to you when you got there, but the train station is clean and safe, and I would know because I lived there for 23 years and never had anything bad happen to me or the people I know.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 6:44 PM

I enjoy reading your page. I waited for my friend at the station .. I did not feel unsafe but thanks for the warning. I love the churches and walking around Den Bosch.

• OlafS's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 7:06 AM

Haha, actually I don't say Den Bosch isn't safe. Only the station and the direct vicinity is a dump.

• Maddycita's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 6:48 AM

hey,i live near the Train Station Den Bosch,and i find it great and safe. You'll scary the people who read this. Hey guys,don't belive OLAF. Den Bosch is VERY safe.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2004 at 7:58 AM

Excellent.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2003 at 9:24 PM

Nice job, you know the town well! I wish I could have seen as much, oh well, next time!!

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2003 at 3:40 AM

Olaf - thanks for the great tips on this page - I love going here on the weekend. St. Jan is incredible!

• May 6, 2003 at 12:16 PM

Great opening pic and perfect description of architecture !! thankx for sharing !!

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Badges & Stats in Den Bosch

Have you been to Den Bosch?

Latest Activity in Den Bosch