"'s-Hertogenbosch: capital of Noord-Brabant" Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch by OlafS
Den Bosch Travel Guide: 191 reviews and 489 photos
On the old VT you couldn't make a page about this great city. Thankfully, that has been remedied now, and it was about time too. With plenty of silly entries like Europoort you can at least expect to have an entry for this provincial capital, can't you?
's-Hertogenbosch is the official name for this city, but most people prefer to use the shorter 'Den Bosch'.
's-Hertogenbosch means 'forest of the duke', as the duke of Brabant once had a hunting lodge here, near the village of Orthen. The hunting lodge became a settlement, the settlement became a city that eventually swallowed up Orthen. In the Middle Ages 's-Hertogenbosch was in importance the second city of the northern Netherlands, Utrecht being the most important, and the fourth city in importance of the Duchy of Brabant. Today 's-Hertogenbosch is the capital of the province of Noord-Brabant. It's not the biggest city in the province, and unlike Eindhoven and Tilburg it has not taken its chance to get a university within its borders. Its politicians only started thinking about demolishing the old centre when the general public started caring about these things enough to put up succesful resistance. Recently the plans to turn a unique historical building into an ugly museum, for which an entire block of old houses needed to be demolished to give it more "prestige", were abandoned. Although a modern city by any standards, 's-Hertogenbosch sill has much of its old charm. In short; a nice place that should be on the list of anybody interested in culture. Quite a nice place for shopping too.
The former St. Jacobskerk stands behind its much more recent successor. Originally a chapel, dating from 1430, it became... more travel advice
Near the citadel you can find this building. The Kruithuis ("gunpowder-house") was built from 1617 to 1621, when the... more travel advice
Written Jun 19, 2003
More pictures of 's-Hertogenbosch
Written Feb 27, 2003
OlafS's Related Pages
Den Bosch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Den Bosch"
- "So old, so beautiful"
- "Den Bosch or 's-Hertogenbosch"
- "My original home town!"
- "'s-Hertogenbosch: capital of Noord-Brabant"
- "Den Bosch"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Den Bosch
- Hotels in Den Bosch
- Transportation in Den Bosch
- Nightlife in Den Bosch
- Restaurants in Den Bosch
- Shopping in Den Bosch
- Warnings and Dangers in Den Bosch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Den Bosch
- 21 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Den Bosch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Den Bosch
Photos in Den BoschSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos