"Eindhoven: the city that didn't stand a chance" Eindhoven by OlafS

Eindhoven Travel Guide: 332 reviews and 976 photos

The ugliest city of the Netherlands? It certainly qualifies for that title. It probably never was a wonderful place, but it could have been 'nice'. Politicians and big companies have taken that chance away though, and Eindhoven's centre is now dominated by big buildings that are unworthy of the title 'architecture'. Not so long ago a house from the 15th century was demolished to make room for something more "prestigious". Behold the local political mentality. With such a mentality the city didn't stand a chance.

Anyway, I worked here one day every week for a while and hated the trip so much that I'm probably prejudiced. Perhaps this is not such a bad place, but why a tourist would want to come here, except for just staying here and seeing the surrounding area, is beyond me. Hey, I'm just being honest here, I feel the same about my hometown Tilburg!

Does this still sound harsh to you? Perhaps it is. I don't like this place, but that doesn't mean you couldn't enjoy yourselves here for a day. Perhaps you perfectly well can. Perhaps even I could. Well, let's see, shall we?

• Pros:Some more interesting places are located close to this city
  • Cons:Not much to see for the average tourist.
  • In a nutshell:I just don't know. OK for one day perhaps, but hardly for more.
  • Last visit to Eindhoven: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2004

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2005 at 4:38 AM

Splendid stuff about Mr Kox and Stratumsein but where is your photo and tip regarding Evoluon? I know the blighters have shut the museum down - I went for a memorable day out there in the early 70s - but it's still a grand building...isn't it?

• naturalmystic82's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2003 at 11:29 PM

ah, its good to see some honesty in a destination - kinda enjoyed eindhoven - but then again it was mainly due to the beer shopping - your pictures are cool.

OlafS

“Get lost (and discover!)”

Badges & Stats in Eindhoven

Have you been to Eindhoven?

Latest Activity in Eindhoven