"Eindhoven: the city that didn't stand a chance" Eindhoven by OlafS
Eindhoven Travel Guide: 330 reviews and 972 photos
The ugliest city of the Netherlands? It certainly qualifies for that title. It probably never was a wonderful place, but it could have been 'nice'. Politicians and big companies have taken that chance away though, and Eindhoven's centre is now dominated by big buildings that are unworthy of the title 'architecture'. Not so long ago a house from the 15th century was demolished to make room for something more "prestigious". Behold the local political mentality. With such a mentality the city didn't stand a chance.
Anyway, I worked here one day every week for a while and hated the trip so much that I'm probably prejudiced. Perhaps this is not such a bad place, but why a tourist would want to come here, except for just staying here and seeing the surrounding area, is beyond me. Hey, I'm just being honest here, I feel the same about my hometown Tilburg!
Does this still sound harsh to you? Perhaps it is. I don't like this place, but that doesn't mean you couldn't enjoy yourselves here for a day. Perhaps you perfectly well can. Perhaps even I could. Well, let's see, shall we?
- Pros:Some more interesting places are located close to this city
- Cons:Not much to see for the average tourist.
- In a nutshell:I just don't know. OK for one day perhaps, but hardly for more.
When you're in Eindhoven you're likely to meet Arnol Kox who spends most of his days in the centre of the city and will... more travel advice
This is a big neo-Gothic church, one of the major highlights in the career of architect P.J.H. Cuypers. Especially the... more travel advice
OlafS's Related Pages
Eindhoven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "my hometown, Intelligent Community of the Year2011"
- "City of Lights"
- "Contemporary City of Sports and Technology"
- "Elbow in Eindhoven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eindhoven
- Hotels in Eindhoven
- Transportation in Eindhoven
- Nightlife in Eindhoven
- Restaurants in Eindhoven
- Shopping in Eindhoven
- Warnings and Dangers in Eindhoven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eindhoven
- 7 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Eindhoven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eindhoven
Photos in EindhovenSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (16)
Latest Eindhoven hotel reviews
- Park Plaza Mandarin Eindhoven
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Motel Eindhoven
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 31, 2013
- Amrath Hotel Pierre
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Sofitel Cocagne Eindhoven
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Benno
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Hampshire Sandton Hotel Eindhoven City Centre
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- De Collse Hoeve
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 1, 2013
- Holiday Inn Eindhoven
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotel Campanile Eindhoven
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Parkzicht
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013