Hilversum Things to Do Tips by OlafS
Hilversum Things to Do: 9 reviews and 17 photos
The is a remarkable building in a neo-Baroque style, designed by P.A. Weeldenburg and built in 1888-1889. Unlike the Roman-Catholics, the Old-Catholics preferred other styles than Gothicism for their churches.
The Roman Catholic St. Vitus is a neo-Gothic church designed by P.J.H. Cuypers and built in 1891-1892. It is regarded as one of Cuypers' most important works. The interior must be very impressive and worth a look. If you find the doors open of course.
In 1928 W.M. Dudok was appointed municipal architect of Hilversum. Until then he had designed several buildings and objects for Hilversum in his function of director of Municipal Works. The town hall would become his masterpiece, and had been designed by him up to the smallest details, including the furniture and even a chairman's hammer. From 1915 until 1922 several designs were made, of which the final one was finished in 1924. Construction however didn't start until 1927, after several years of uncertainty over whether it would ever be build at all. Dudok finally was given the green light because fellow architects had been presuring the Hilversum city-counsil.
The town hall was built just outside the town centre, where it could be surrounded by a park. The building is made up out of box-like shapes, with a mostly vertical accent that is broken by several horizontal structures.
The building still has its original function, but a part of it houses the Dudok Centre, which has an exhibition of the man's work.
OlafS's Related Pages
Hilversum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hilversum - in the middle of the Netherlands"
- "Hilversum Page"
- "The heart of Dutch Radio & Television"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hilversum
- Hotels in Hilversum
- Transportation in Hilversum
- Restaurants in Hilversum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hilversum
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Hilversum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hilversum
Photos in HilversumSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos