"Oosterbeek, the battleground village" Top 5 Page for this destination Oosterbeek by OlafS
Oosterbeek Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 93 photos
Just outside Arnhem is Oosterbeek, a nice village to look at but especially not to be missed by tourists with a historical interest in World War Two. The place was caught in the crossfire in September 1944, when the Allies tried to capture the bridges over the Rhine. The village never looked the same since. Many things remind of this short but sad chapter in Oosterbeek's history, including a big Allied war cemetary. Still it's a lovely place. Much of the village is occupied by villa's built by ex-colonials who made their fortune in what today is known as Indonesia, which results in a very varied picture. If you like this sort of thing you could easily spend a whole day admiring the details on these houses.
This is a very rare opportunity to see a church ornamented with Jugendstil details. The Remonstrant church dates from... more travel advice
The neo-Gothic catholic church of St. Bernulphus lost the upper half of its tower in 1944, and no one bothered to... more travel advice
OlafS's Related Pages
Oosterbeek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place where I am enjoying my work"
- "Oosterbeek, the battleground village"
- "Oosterbeek, a place to remember!"
- "Operation Market Garden Tour – Oosterbeek"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oosterbeek
- Hotels in Oosterbeek
- Transportation in Oosterbeek
- Warnings and Dangers in Oosterbeek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oosterbeek
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Oosterbeek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oosterbeek
Photos in OosterbeekSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 56 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 40 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 38 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Limburg Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leuven Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maastricht Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tilburg Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Den Bosch Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provincie Noord-Brabant Intro, 23 reviews, 20 photos